Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 403b for down payment

tag
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

Using 403b for down payment

I have heard many times that people use money from 403b/401k for down payment but here is my question.....will it matter if I darn near deplete my 403b to do it? I am talking about taking a loan for the max and then taking a hardship withdrawal for the rest. I am not worried about tax implications so just know that. I am just wondering if this will look bad to underwriting. I am saving now but it will help me to buy my home sooner if I do what is planned. Waiting is not an option unless what I plan to do will cause me not to get the loan. I plan on going through FHA.
EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Using 403b for down payment

I don't think underwriters care whether you have money saved in 401k or 403b for retirement, they care whether you can meet the out of pockets costs to obtain the loan, and make your mortgage payments.  I don't think what you propose would hurt you with an FHA loan. But that's just my guess. 

Message 2 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

You should be fine as long as everything qualifies.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Beasley12 wrote:
I have heard many times that people use money from 403b/401k for down payment but here is my question.....will it matter if I darn near deplete my 403b to do it? I am talking about taking a loan for the max and then taking a hardship withdrawal for the rest. I am not worried about tax implications so just know that. I am just wondering if this will look bad to underwriting. i have never had a problem with people taking out a certain amount. max or not. it is your money to do with as you please.I am saving now but it will help me to buy my home sooner if I do what is planned. Waiting is not an option unless what I plan to do will cause me not to get the loan. I plan on going through FHA.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

make sure you can actually borrow from it.

i have seen 403b's that did not allow distributions and loans.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

If you can take out a loan on your 403b, I would try for a 20 year residential loan. You will need to send them a signed contract along with your promissory note and it can take 3-4 weeks to get your check but your weekly payments will be much lower and you can save up the full amount owed sooner than 20 years and repay it back sooner. I would minimize new debt. And in fact, this is exactly what I did. The loan costs me $7 per week from my paycheck versus $20 per week. Doesn't seem like a lot but when added up to a month's worth of payments, it is a big difference.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 7
brownj12
Established Member

Looking at your other posts I think you will have a problem getting that money out of your account. If you take the max loan, typically the lower of your total vested amount or 50% of your balance (or $50k but per your other post that isn't applicable here).

With all 3 of the 401k Plans I have had, you could not take a withdrawal if it would drop your total account balance below 2x your outstanding loan balance. I don't know that this is anything other than a plan policy but I am not aware of any plans that would allow it.

Obviously YMMV but I would call your plan administrator before deciding on this course of action. I would hate to hear that you withdrew the max only to see that your balance for a hardship withdrawal dropped to ) $.00

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.