Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Tax Return as Down Payment?

tag
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Using Tax Return as Down Payment?

Is it bad to use my tax return as down payment for a home even if I didn't actually "save" in my bank account? I have no savings else where except in my 403B TSA.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: Using Tax Return as Down Payment?

Well, technically you saved it, it's just that the government got the interest holding onto it for ya! Smiley Happy

I don't see anything bad about it. You are not taking out a secret loan (lying) and it is YOUR money. Go for it!

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

anca21bi wrote:
Is it bad to use my tax return as down payment for a home even if I didn't actually "save" in my bank account? I have no savings else where except in my 403B TSA.

I'll wait for others (the experts) to chime in, but I wouldn't buy house without some reserves on hand, that is money that isn't tied up.
Message 3 of 5
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:

@anca21bi wrote:

I'll wait for others (the experts) to chime in, but I wouldn't buy house without some reserves on hand, that is money that isn't tied up.

I should have thought before I posted. It would be alot better to have a nice chunk saved before you buy. 

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Is it bad as in, it won't qualify?  No, your tax refund is fine to use as a down payment, or as qualifying reserves, etc.

Is it bad as in, is it a bad choice to use all cash on hand as the down payment so the only thing you have left is a 403b TSA and a few bucks in checking?  Well, how would that make you feel?  Would you feel comfortable, uncomfortable?  I'd put my money on uncomfortable, or at least that is how I would feel, so if I was you, I would not.  My personal recommendation is have at least 4-6 months of emergency funds in case something unexpected happens.  That's not 4-6 times the new housing payment, that is 4-6 times whatever the minimum expenses you will need to pay in order to keep surviving (food, utilities, debt, etc.).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.