Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit before closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit before closing

Hi all.

The mortgage process is going well.  I was pre-approved for conventional loan, and have found and house and am now under contract.  We're expected to close 7/29.  My lender doesn't see any problems at all coming up, unless a meteor falls out of the sky and smashes the house.

So, I'm starting to think about a few things I'd like to update/change in the house.  One thing I want to do is replace the kitchen counters, and my home improvement store has a fantastic deal on right now that would save me nearly $500 on the job if I make the order this week.  I can wait, but I lose out on the discount.

I am reluctant to tap my savings . . . I have cash in the bank for the downpayment and for 2 months reserves (the loan officer's recommendation).  On top of that, I have some funds in retirement and other assets that were listed on the application.  But, if I pay cash now, my savings would be depleted a bit.  On the other hand, if they just look at bank statements, instead of current balance on closing day, then I'd have no problems as my July 1 statement would have all the cash still there.

So, I could pay for the counters easily on my credit card, but that would increase my utilization before closing.  Now, there's a fair amount of buffer (my middle lender-pulled score was 769) so it would take a lot to get me down to 740 (the cut-off for the best rate). I could handle a few points drop in my score.   But, would it raise a huge red flag to an underwriter if my credit utilization went up by a few percentage points before closing?   I have read all the advice here that warns against seeking new credit - that's not what I'm doing.  Just using some of the credit that I already have.  Also, my loan officer said that my credit report was good for 90 days, and that he'd just be requesting a few line item updates before closing, not another full report.

So, yeah order now?   Or eat the $500 and wait?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Using credit before closing

If I were in your situation, I would wait to take on more debt. There is always the possibility of another credit pull at closing.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Second-credit-pull-before-closing-Just-became-more-co...
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.