Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit cards to 'preserve' cash reserves 2 weeks before closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit cards to 'preserve' cash reserves 2 weeks before closing

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. My wife and I close in 2 weeks on our VA loan...we're very excited.

The one challenge we've faced is the necessity for cash reserves. The lender wants us to show at least $4000 in cash reserves. We've really struggled to not buy ANYTHING to be able to pull that off. We went from only $1200 in the bank to $4600 in a matter of 3 weeks and that was really hard to do. 

Now that we've sent them a bank statement and the mortgage processor is generally satisfied that we've met all requirements, do we need to keep over $4000 in the bank? Are they likely to ask for another updated statement later? I've got bills to pay, groceries to buy...it's really tough.

Also I'm thinking about using my credit cards to buy groceries and gas just to keep our bank balance high. Will charging a few hundred dollars here and there hurt our application? I started the mortgage application with $2600 in credit card debt (I've got $25k total limits across all cards) and have chraged my cards up to a total of $3400 out of that $25k. I've been careful to keep the balance below 30% on any 1 credit card. Is this strategy safe? Does my bank balance even matter anymore?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Using credit cards to 'preserve' cash reserves 2 weeks before closing

If your credit card statement will cut AFTER closing, I would say it is generally safe to charge your every day expenses on credit card. When does your credit card statements report? I would only use the cards that report after closing to the credit bureaus as they may pull your credit right before closing and you do not want the lender to see a higher credit card balance.

Since you are still 2 weeks out, I would be very cautious about dropping your savings below $4000. As UWs can always (and many times do) come back at the last minute to check reserves just how they often rerun credit at the last minute.

I am closing next week and all my UW asked for was a copy of my 401K check and updated statements that show it was deposited into savings as I took a residential loan out on my 401K. I have to use a small amount of it possibly for trash haul before closing and a small amount for moving after closing. My LO said I did not need a certain amount of reserves due to my credit score. But I have about $6000 in savings and my yearly bonus from my job of $6000 will arrive late this month, early March.

I guess my other question is, why can't you buy groceries and pay your normal bills using your paychecks? Savings is supposed to be reserved for emergencies and other things that fall outside your normal budget. I charge all my everyday expenses on credit cards each month for the rewards and I pay in full every month so I never carry a balance. I guess I'm concerned about the additional debt you will have for using your credit cards for expenses not covered by your paychecks. Will the mortgage on the new house be cheaper or more expensive?

Lastly to reiterate, I would be very cautious about lowering your savings below the min required and charging expenses on cards that will report the higher balance to the credit bureaus before closing because you are still two full weeks away from closing, which means there is still a ton of time left for UWs to ask for additional stuff. Don't be fooled, there have been many that were denied right before closing due to changes happening on their accounts and credit reports since preapproval that were viewed very negatively by the lender.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good points, I'll try to only use cards I know won't report a higher balance until after we close on the 15th.

These are the assets they are counting: 

• $500 earnest money
  • $500 in savings account
  • $1600 in 401k (yeah, i know...not very much, but I'm only 30)
  • $4400 in checking account with latest statement I sent to processor

After I sent in the latest checking statement 2 days ago, my balance went up to $4900 in checking. But then we had to pay the cable bill, cell phone bill, rent @ $850, groceries, etc and we're down to only $3300 in checking.

We get paid again the day before closing and I don't anticipate getting any tax refund checks until March Smiley Sad

Our CC balances have only gone up slightly, we didn't go out and buy a bunch of new appliances or anything...that'll come AFTER closing Smiley Very Happy

What really frustrates us is that we can't get anyone to tell us EXACTLY how much money we need to keep in checking to be safe. I think our loan officer might have said $4000 but honestly can't remember...and now whenever I ask him or the processor how much is enough, they ignore my emails.

Could I be worried about nothing? I know most of us freak out prior to closing and I'm really feeling it now.  I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Message 3 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I'm at that point as well. I was supposed to close Jan 31st but that fell through as one of the UWs came back with more document requests when there wasn't supposed to be anymore so now my file is back in final review. I am going through our local housing authority for a loan program. So once the CHFA UW approves, it goes back to UAMC for the last approval needed to close! We plan to have everything packed up and ready to move on Feb 6th...which will hopefully be our closing date...worst case, it will be Feb 8th.

My LO ignores my emails for a period of time sometimes as well so I would give him a call directly to get an answer. You want to thread lightly when it comes to spending and reserves.

I would also consider moving your reserves to savings and only keep your paycheck plus some amount of cushion above that which comfortably covers your bills and other expenses so you truly know how much you have to spend to keep you from spending savings. It is ideal for your savings account to have more money than your checking account. I would also start a recurring transfer to move some amount of your paycheck every week to savings so it continues to grow.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So your loan officer ignores you too, huh? I guess that's part of the job description for loan officers and mortgage processors.

Normally we'd have much more in savings, but we'd been trying to pay down debt to increase our scores...I'd thought VA loans are 'zero down', but saw unexpected expenses related to the mortgage. We typically have $1000 left over per month but have been extremely conservative. I'll move what I don't need to pay bills into savings, thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to building savings back up.

Are there underwriting guidelines that say how much in reserves you should have? Our PITI would be about $1050/month, so if he said $4000 maybe he was meaning 3 months of PITI because 4 months would be 4200....not sure...again, this is VA. Our lowest mid score was 680, so maybe we're more of a 'risk'.

It would be nice if we only needed 3150 and he was just trying to make sure we were being careful. I'm afraid the UW may ask for new bank statements in a week, at which time we will probably only have slightly more than 3150!

Message 5 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Having a good Loan Officer is not easy to come by. Most LO's working in banks are on salary with a small commission over ride. They could have a few hundred loans at a time they are dealing with at any given time. So in general many (not all) LO's dont really cater to the clients.

Now Brokers are the same as far as finding a good one, but they are usually more apt to returning calls and emails and trying to perform better customer service. Brokers are on commission and do not get paid unless the loan closes. While you have Brokers who have a dozen or two clients at a given time, they are more likely to have more time available to deal with your questions and concerns on a much faster scale.

Obviously YMMV between the 2. But from being on both sides of the fence overall my opinion is you get much better customer service from a Broker.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I'm not going to even try to estimate that as that is dangerous. I would find out your required reserves from your loan officer and have him put it in writing so you have it, should things go awry.

I have dealt with both and Brokers are much more about customer service than LOs. We wanted the incentives on our home and had to transfer to a LO. I know the Broker I was working with before would have had our loan closed by now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.