cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using fiances income for USDA loan? Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using fiances income for USDA loan? Help!

My fiance and I want to buy a house once our lease is up in October. We are working on his credit but I'm afraid it won't be over 640 by August/September when I'd like to get approved for a loan. (I've heard USDA takes 45-60 days to approve. Even if our lease ends and we aren't in a house yet we will have a place to crash for a few months if we absolutely have to.)

My question is - if we waited to get married - and I applied on my own - would I be able to claim his income without them running his credit score? Would they tax that? How would that work? He makes more money than I do and I don't believe my income alone would get us into the house range we want.

If we do get married - and my credit is fantastic and his is a bit below 640 - does that mean we aren't going to be able to get a loan? How would that work? Any advice/info would be much appreciated. We are very nervous and working our butts off to pull his credit score up in time. But, we aren't sure if not getting married and me claiming his income would be better if even possible. 

Thank you!

EDIT: I don't want to put both of us on loan without being married as I've been told his ex wife could try to rip it out from under him. So, we either need to be married or I need to get it by myself. Sounds like I'm going to have to wait for his score to get to par if using his income without him being on the mortgage isn't an option. :/ 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Using fiances income for USDA loan? Help!

If you intend to use your significant others income for qualifying purposes, he will need to be on the loan (married or not). They would pull his credit and need all of his documents (w2s, bank statements, check stubs etc). You don't need to be married for him to be on the loan with you, sounds like you may think you need to be? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong. If you apply with him they will take the lowest mid score between you two. Not sure what the credit score cutoff is for USDA, you may want to check into that.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 5
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

The minimum credit score for all borrowers may not be below 620, regardless of GUS approval. For loans with credit scores from 620 to 639 that are unable to obtain GUS approval, the transaction may be accepted as long as 1, the local Rural Development office has approved the loan and issued a Condtional Commitment, and 2, the loans meet all other RHS requirements. Found this on another site posted by a lender.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 3 of 5
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

So I'm reading as long as your above a 620 mid score and can get GUS approval, you will be fine. Talk to a few lenders, they will tell you everything you need to know. Don't be afraid to ask them questions and explain your credit/income etc. they don't judge and I'm pretty sure have seen some pretty funky scenarios Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to use someone's income, their credit will always be factored - regardless of being married or not.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.