Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA/FHA home loan during chapter 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA/FHA home loan during chapter 13

So I filed chapter 13 last month. I have a 36 month plan in which I have to pay 250 a month. Before the bk my scores were roughly 580 across the board. I'm currently sitting on EX-501 TU-516 EQ-511. I'm currently in a one bedroom apartment that isn't very big at all and I'm expecting a child in 7 months. I want to purchase a house in about a year when I have 12 months of good payments to the trustee. I really need to get my scores up to at least 620 to qualify to buy a home. Is it possible to achieve that in a year? What will I need to do?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA/FHA home loan during chapter 13

Also on my EX and EQ it's showing 2 collection accounts that TU removed. Is there a reason why TU removed the collection accounts but EX and EQ haven't yet? I know once those get removed my score will improve that way
Message 2 of 9
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Just paying as agreed for 12 months will help - I would ask in the credit or BK 13 section as the people there may have more experience and be better able to advise on what else to do while in the BK

It sounds like you have done your home work and know that when you have 12 months as agreed and the courts permission you are eligible for financing

Good Luck with the plan

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 9
granny031350
Established Contributor

I filed a chapter 13 and was able to get my mortgage the day I was discharged.   However, the mortgage companies will not look at you while you are in BK.  But show up with a discharged chapter13 and you will be golden.   A completed plan will help your score.   

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also you will need to get the permission of the trustee before taking on debt.  And if I am not mistaken you cannot get a mortgage until after 2 years of payments to a trustee.  I am over a year discharged and just now planning on buying a home this year.

Per my experience one year of making payments will NOT bring you up to 620.  That'll happen much later.

Message 5 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@granny031350 wrote:

I filed a chapter 13 and was able to get my mortgage the day I was discharged.   However, the mortgage companies will not look at you while you are in BK.  But show up with a discharged chapter13 and you will be golden.   A completed plan will help your score.   

This is not true. There are mortgage companies out there that will follow the VA/FHA guidelines which says you just have to be 12 months into a ch 13 BK to be eligible.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were discharged over 2 years ago from Chapter 13 and the three lenders I contacted for a home construcion loan all advised that in order to be considered for a loan, have to be at least 2 years since discharge. I am sure there are some places out there, just have to look around, might pay higher interest rates, but can always refinance down the line. You will definately need the trustee's permission on this. While you are in BK you cannot apply for any credit at all without the trustees permission. I wish you the best of luck.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may not be true. Some trustees may allow debt without approval up to a certain amount. You'd need to check into that.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just speaking from my experience. Was told by our lawyer not to incur any new debt during Chap 13 and any changes would have to be run through trustee. It is possible there is a limit allowed, we just stayed low to the ground during our process and did not incur any new credit until we were discharged. BK forum might be helpful for the OP. Wonderful help through the process and afterwards. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.