Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA LOAN after a CH 13

tag
TanterBeans
New Contributor

Re: VA LOAN after a CH 13

Mzware, do you mind if I ask which lender you are using for your VA loan? I'm asking because I've called so many places and they all are telling me they require a 620(which we're at my dangerously close). If I found one with a 600 it would give us so much breathing room! Good luck on your journey!! Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 33
TanterBeans
New Contributor

Can't type today. *which we're at but dangerously close and can't afford to lose even a point.
Message 12 of 33
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

For me, having to wait 2 years after discharge of my Ch 13 allowed for further improvement of my credit and reserves. Also during this waiting period, I had planned on purchasing the property I was renting but I found out my landlord had planned on ripping me off through the deal as she refused to make repairs and after agreeing on a price, increased it by over $30K! Also I uncovered a great 100% financing FHA loan through our housing authority. So we walked away from the rental property into a gorgeous 4 bd, 4 ba, study, 3700 sq ft new construction inventory home that was just finished in October 2012. The house we were renting was only 1467 sq ft and it had no basement so we were cramped and outgrowing it more and more as each year went by. So being forced to wait was a good thing as it allowed me to really see the game my landlord was playing and decide what was the right path forward for our family and be able to do it financially.

So yes, it is possible I was dealing with incompetent lenders but my patience paid off in the long run. It has been 6 years since I was a homeowner and I could have possibly owned sooner but it would not have been what we wanted. Since I was already patient for 5 years, I said what's another year? So I waited and didn't force myself upon 10 different lenders, and my income went up, credit score went up, and my reserves went up enough for me to be able to ditch the burdensome rental property for our forever home.

Sometimes being asked to wait is a sign of better things to come. Just like the saying, Better things come to those who wait. And actually our first home ended up in foreclosure because we pushed. The first Mortgage Broker told us to work on our credit for two more years and he would be able to approve us. But we just couldn't wait! We had to be homeowners right then and there and went to a shady broker who showed us only rundown homes in our price range or huge magnificent homes that would break our budget. We fell in love with one of those huge homes and the broker said the only way to be approved is to do a 2 year ARM. We fell for it, couldn't get refinanced because of our DTI, ended up filing BK a second time and wrote exempt on our taxes to try to save the home. Home foreclosed in 2007. I have ONE LAST PAYMENT to the IRS next month for 2005/6 back taxes in the amount of $54!!!

So...this second time around when I was asked to wait, I waited. As I knew forcing it before placed us into a bad situation. So by waiting, I was able to buy what we truly wanted.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 13 of 33
mzware
Contributor

home services lending in KY is who I am using.
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Message 14 of 33
mzware
Contributor

I agree that yes it is better to do as suggested if being told to wait. We could purchase a home up to 300,000 but we are looking at one for 230,000. I have never owned a home before, but I just dont want to ever get into financial trouble. Our mortgage would only be about 100 more than what we are paying in rent right now. My situation has changed in the last 2 years and i am just glad to be where I am.

Message 15 of 33
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@TanterBeans wrote:
Mzware, do you mind if I ask which lender you are using for your VA loan? I'm asking because I've called so many places and they all are telling me they require a 620(which we're at my dangerously close). If I found one with a 600 it would give us so much breathing room! Good luck on your journey!! Smiley Happy

Then what is on your report to possibly increase your scores a little?

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 16 of 33
TanterBeans
New Contributor

Sorry don't want to hijack your post!

JM-AM we've tried everything. Write goodwill letters for late payments and paid down our utilization. Just waiting for the last credit card statement to post! Hoping to gain another 10-20 points. Thanks!
Message 17 of 33
mzware
Contributor

Hi JM-AM, I have a question for you. I received this email today from my LO: My underwriter is going over you credit with another underwriter, but there are a few items he wants from you: Letter from husband that you have 100% access to all joint bank accounts 02/14 to 03/13 page 2 and 4 for Navy Federal Credit Union Full statement for TSP showing for 60days How much money you would have eligible for a loan against for TSP – just for reserves you don’t actually have to take a loan Chapter 13 payment history from attorney for past 12 months Complete set of bankruptcy papers, showing all creditors I understand that they don't want any late payments once a CH 13 is filed/discharged. My file is in the process of being discharged, but they are asking for a payment history with the last 12 months only. Do you know why? Also do these seem like reasons that they would really deny a loan? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Message 18 of 33
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@TanterBeans wrote:
Sorry don't want to hijack your post!

JM-AM we've tried everything. Write goodwill letters for late payments and paid down our utilization. Just waiting for the last credit card statement to post! Hoping to gain another 10-20 points. Thanks!

Let us know if after reports you get the points you need.

Depending on how high the UTIL was you may gain more points then you realize.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 19 of 33
mzware
Contributor

YAYYY!! LO emailed me and told me that I am approved. The LO states that the underwriter stated that it was a clean approval. I am so excited I dont know what to do..I guess I will do as the LO suggests (GO AND FIND MYSELF A HOUSE)!!! I was so nervous being in manual underwriting, but this seems to be the best way vs DU. Thank GOD!

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.