cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan - 660 min?

tag
Brandytab

VA Loan - 660 min?

We are looking at a home and are able to buy with VA.  My income isn't being used, so it's based on husband's credit/income.  Discharged ch13 BK (BK was 5 years ago, payments made on time) and the broker had zero concerns about that given the fact that it was 5 years ago.  Nothing bad since then, good payment/rental/job history and can qualify for max VA.  

All of that said - we were told that he needs a minimum 660 from the broker to get a VA loan.  Is this typical?  I thought it was closer to 620, and mid-score is 649 right now. Do we just wait and try to get an 11 point bump by decreasing our utilizations or do we keep shopping around?  They can get us into an FHA but why would we want to put 3.5% down and pay PMI?  We were bummed that we couldn't get a prequal to put in an offer on a home....

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: VA Loan - 660 min?

It's because you are using a broker.

Go to another lender that funds their own loans - a correspondent lender or a mortgage banker. There is no VA requirement for 660 score. That is your brokers requirement (and the lenders with which he works).

There are many lenders out there that will do it with a lower score than 660.

Message 2 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

Take Shane's advice and I will amplify a little.  Shane knows the particulars of our VA experience and hopefully we'll get the final approval we need Tuesday, but here is what I found.  (Shane is unfortunately not our lender on this transaction Smiley Sad)

1. Many lender's and brokers SAY they know how to do a VA loan.  If it is pure vanilla with paychecks, good credit scores etc.  they can and do get the job done with minimal effort on your part.
  2. If you have anything at all that is not pure straightforward etc. then you need to do a few things:
    1. Read the VA underwriting guidelines -- they are available on the internet
    2. Understand where the questions will occur and be ready with the information, as an example VA doesn't require a credit score at all if the applicant can prove capacity and willingness to honor obligations.  A credit score is the lazy way of determining that so the lender's rely on the score.  As Shane pointed out, the guy you talked to just spouted a number -- likely because he didn't want to be bothered to do some work (see below)
    3. Be ready to point out errors, fix discrepancies and push back.  Also keep pushing things forward, if I had not stayed on top of the process and corrected errors along the way we would never be to this point.  In fact one error they made on the first day, took until the file had been in their office 60 days to finally get corrected.  This after numerous emails, phone calls etc.  I made them give me a printout from Desktop Underwriter so I could make sure the data had been input correctly.
    4. Don't let anyone run a credit report until you have interviewed them and established they know what they are doing.  Ask pointed questions that you have developed from step 1. 
  3. Unlilke a regular loan a VA Loan is your Right, you earned it.  Find a  lender that will treat it that way not like they are doing you a favor taking your application.

@Brandytab wrote:

We are looking at a home and are able to buy with VA.  My income isn't being used, so it's based on husband's credit/income.  Discharged ch13 BK (BK was 5 years ago, payments made on time) and the broker had zero concerns about that given the fact that it was 5 years ago.  Nothing bad since then, good payment/rental/job history and can qualify for max VA.  

All of that said - we were told that he needs a minimum 660 from the broker to get a VA loan.  Is this typical?  I thought it was closer to 620, and mid-score is 649 right now. Do we just wait and try to get an 11 point bump by decreasing our utilizations or do we keep shopping around?  They can get us into an FHA but why would we want to put 3.5% down and pay PMI?  We were bummed that we couldn't get a prequal to put in an offer on a home....

Message 3 of 8
Brandytab

Thank you so much for the excellent responses.  I was shocked when the broker tried to talk us into FHA - I felt the same way that you mentioned.  He earned the priviledge of the VA loan, so why not take advantage of it?  Also, we are wanting to spend 300K, and that puts us above the FHA range (according to the broker) without putting money down.  

We bought a home together in the late 90s using VA but it was easy peasy.  Active duty, not much for debt.  We were but teenagers (literally).

How do we go about finding a GOOD lender?  I emailed Veterans United but now I'm wondering if that was such a wise idea after reading some posts on this forum.  Regarding the "vanilla" loan, job history is good, pay is good, no charge offs, judgements, collections or lates in the last 5 years (since beginning BK process), not much for debt (DTI is 2% right now).

Message 4 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

The mortgage broker can only tell you the guidelines from the lenders they can broker loans out to.  If you were looking for a VA loan over a $417k loan amount then that is when some lenders start to require higher credit scores.  If you aren't looking for over $417k then it has been a very long time since I've seen any lender require a 660 score for VA financing.  As you have presumed, most are OK with a 620, we even go down to a 600.  If you have VA as an option, I'd definitely pursue that and would only take a "no" from an underwriter reviewing the loan, and not a loan officer.  Nothing you've said about your situation indicates that VA wouldn't be possible.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 8
TripleD4Lyfe

DO NOT USE A BROKER....I closed with a 625 middle score.

Message 6 of 8
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

I just closed on my home with a VA loan. 2 years post chap 7, no lates since, only 2 credit card accounts. Mid score was a 669 but I only needed a 620. I used veterans United Home Loans. They were fantastic with me and I reccommend them to anyone looking to use their Va benefit. 4.25% interest rate. 

My story: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Happiness-in-an-email/m-p/3393787#M154001

Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

lots of lenders at 620.

just call around.  or maybe ask a realtor for a referral

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.