cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan - First time home buyer

tag
flan
Regular Contributor

Re: Seller requires buyer to use a specific title company?

@_NERD wrote:

To StartingOver10 & AhmedInMD:

My agent suggested we come in strong 5k over list price and mentioned more than once that the house needs to appraise for the amount of the offer anyway. If it appraises lower, then a reduced sale price may be possible. Or the seller could turn away our offer and try again with another buyer, which would be silly since it didn't appraise. Oh and my 5k over list offer includes seller paying 5k towards closing. I'm good with that. 

I do, however, live in a seller's market and houses are going into Pending within days of listing. YMMV.

The next buyer might be willing to make up the difference between offer an appraisal.  Or the next appraisal may reflect more recent sales that push the appraised value up.  If they're not in rush to sell, that may get them a higher price. 

Message 21 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Initially, the seller verbally agreed to accept my counter offer and pay 75% of my closing costs then about 3 hours later told my agent that another offer had come in and they were going to accept the other offer. Bummer! Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, I can certainly see the startegy behind offering more than the lisitng price, particularly when there are multiple offers on the table, but that may require an additional negotiation if the appraisal comes in below your offer price.

I have heard that VA appraisals are more stringent than non-VA appraisals but I have not found anything to substantiate it. Being the geek that I am, I have read the 40+ pages of the VA appraisal checklist but it doesn't seem to be an unreasonable criteria, however much of the language seems to leave it up to interpretation by the appraiser. 

Message 23 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update: under contract now Smiley Happy

Submitted an offer, seller countered, we accepted and the contract was ratified. 

Inspection scheduled for this Friday, then appraisal is next, closing date scheduled for June 8th

I spoke to my lender this morning and locked in my rate at 3.325%

Timing is excellent since my current apartment lease ends mid-June

Gonna wait until the appraisal comes back before I start shopping for home insurance

Message 24 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick update: under contract now Smiley Happy

Submitted an offer, seller countered, we accepted and the contract was ratified. 

Inspection scheduled for this Friday, then appraisal is next, closing date scheduled for June 8th

I spoke to my lender this morning and locked in my rate at 3.325%

Timing is excellent since my current apartment lease ends mid-June

Gonna wait until the appraisal comes back before I start shopping for home insurance

Congrats on your hardwork...  Looks like things are moving along nicely..

Message 25 of 51
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Congrats AhMedInMD!
Message 26 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks all! it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride but certainly worth it!

Message 27 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my VA appraisal came back and it supports my purchase price. The VA appraiser requested a couple minor items to be fixed, so I have asked the seller to make those repairs. I am not anticipating too much of a push back from the seller, since the total repair will probably cost well under $1K.

My loan status is presently at "underwriter review" and still scheduled to close June 8th Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 51
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations to you! June will be here before you know it and then everyone can celebrate with you Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan - First time home buyer

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Congratulations to you! June will be here before you know it and then everyone can celebrate with you Smiley Happy

thanks!

The seller has begrudgingly agreed to make the lender required repairs Smiley Happy

Lender sent me an LOE to explain some past derogs and inq's in my credit report. Most of them are student loans that have since been rehabbed and brought to current standing. I also have an auto repo/CO from 2010, I replied that the creditor has agreed to close their account and not to conduct any collection activities. If the lender wants additional info, I have a settlement letter to back me up. I'm not anticipating too much of a push back at this point though I have all documents lined up in case he lender asks for them.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.