Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan Hopefuls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan Hopefuls

My husband and I are wanting to try for a VA loan. We've found the perfect house! Our only issue is my credit. (See scores below) My husbands credit is great, no problems at all. But our DTI isn't so great...we are right around 50% if we only had my husband on the loan. I would love to be, but I'm not sure what my options are. My credit has been increasing, but slowly. Not having much of an account history is really hindering me. THe collections that I do have are all paid in full, but 5 negative accounts are still showing. I had 6 originally but I was successful with one of my GW letters. Any suggestions to get me to the score I need to be? What is the lowest score for VA loans?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Re: VA Loan Hopefuls

My first question is do you have any credit cards? If not get a capt1 to start your score movement by spring. Of course there secured card. If you do I would keep up with the good will letters. You may not get much movement even if some collections get removed  due to other collections or late payments that might be on your account. This in my opinion will start the score movement. Oh and if you have resent lates try GW them to with lenders.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent multiple GW letters. Only one has been removed so far but I'm still trying. Only one recent late, nov 11. I tried getting it removed with a GW as well. No luck. I have 3 cards. One secured capital one. Ive had it since march 2012 200 cl. Also two unsecured. A nfcu cl 4000 and a capital one cl 300.
Message 3 of 11
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Ok, I know you know this but, only carry a balance on one card before they report. On the one card that will carry the balance try and keep the uitl low( best senario 10%). continue to look for back door numbers on this site for backdoor numbers for your acconts. dont stop with just one GW letter. NEVER be late until you have you have the keys to your home and then DONT! ANY QUESTIONSSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 4 of 11
ElDiablo
Valued Member

I think a 620 is the min score required. But if you have a rough credit history be ready to send in a billion forms. The VA loan is a pain in the rear.

Message 5 of 11
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Yes and you can't have any collections unpaid and you can't have any charge offs.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

All my collections (5 total) are paid in full. I'm trying GW letters. Charge offs are only for closed CC's right?
Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are wanting to try for a VA loan. We've found the perfect house! Our only issue is my credit. (See scores below) My husbands credit is great, no problems at all. But our DTI isn't so great...we are right around 50% if we only had my husband on the loan. I would love to be, but I'm not sure what my options are. My credit has been increasing, but slowly. Not having much of an account history is really hindering me. THe collections that I do have are all paid in full, but 5 negative accounts are still showing. I had 6 originally but I was successful with one of my GW letters. Any suggestions to get me to the score I need to be? What is the lowest score for VA loans?

You will save yourself a lot of pain and anguish by not looking at houses until your scores are at least in the 620 range...

In the meantime, you can work on improving the DTI ratio by paying down some bills or paying off installment loans.  You may also be able to refinance some of the larger installment accounts which will give you a smaller payment and hopefully allow you to save for a down payment.  

Looking at houses right now will only lead to dissappointment...  best to focus your energy on productive things like budgeting for the down payment, and reconfiguring some of this debt which is keeping you at 50% DTI ratio.

VA loan programs will help you when your scores are within the guidelines.  Unfortunately, right now, for you they are not. 

Just keep working on those GW letters.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My VA lender wants a mid score of 640 I paid off all my credit cards and my scoe went up 60 points 

Message 9 of 11
hoppermech
New Contributor

I work with the VA, (not For the VA), while I was in my office this past week I sat down with the VA Home loans coordinator for the regional office that covers my area to speak about the fact we are working on obtaining a home loan, he informed me that the VA does not set minimum scores, that is solely up to the creditor as well as what needs to be paid off (collections, charge offs and such) I have seen several times on here that VA sets these and according to him that is false, The VA does not set any of those standards it amounts to really if you are eligible for a loan the VA will back it essentially devoiding the need to private mortgage insurance(PMI). Now obviously if your creditor wants it you are going to have to do it to obtain the loan. But I think a lot of creditors are using the VA as a scapegoat of sorts to make themselves look better. I hope this information helps, And if anyone else has any information, contrary or otherwise I would be very interested to hear from them. Knowledge is power and the more we learn the closer we all are to our dreams.

Starting Score: EQ 518 TU 589
Current Score: EQ 571 TU 614 EXP hard pull Jan 2012 629 Beacon 5.0
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.