Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan Questions

tag
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

VA Loan Questions

I'm currently going through the credit rebuilding process with Veterans United and their Lighthouse Program.

I was just curious if anybody has worked with them and had good results?

My credit history is fine except for my payment history which was awful for awhile. I'm currently trying to get 2 paid collections off of my reports with Calvary and Portfolio. I am also trying to get some lates (90-120 on private, 150 on Federal) on my Sallie Mae student loans removed through GW letters. The last baddies I'm GW lettering are 4 charge offs from 2010-2011, 3 are paid (HSBC, CAP1, Walmart GE) and 1 is a Firestone that just disappeared and I have no CA to get a hold of.

I have 4 credit cards. 2 of them are Secured USAA cards which I am slowly increasing the limits on. 1 is an AAFES Military Star Card. The 4th is an old Victorias Secret Card from 4 years ago that I just started using again to get it active. My limits are low on the secured cards ($750 and $500) and I'm trying to up them to $2000 each since Veterans United will count CD's as savings, plus it helps my scores. I also need a backup in case Firestone decides to call so one of those cards are for that. The AAFES has a $2300 limit and the Victorias Secret has a $500 limit but I'm hoping that goes up since I'm going to be using the thing. Last Apps were back in May. We're looking to purchase next summer. Hopefully May-July Range.

I'm also curious about affordability. Hopefully we're aiming at the right purchase price. Last year I made $58,000 and this year I should make $65,000-$70,000. My monthly obligations including car loan, student loans and credit cards is roughly $600. We comfortably afford our $1000 rent. I just started school again to get my RN so I will be sending those private loans into deferrment but I will still be making payments. I'll be paying off all the cards but one before we app too in order to give a little boost. This is only going on my name because my wife does not work and she stays home with the 2 kids. Basically were aiming for a comfort/safe zone for $180K, our doable zone is $200K and our reach zone is $220K.

I just want to make sure we're not being crazy with our ranges were aiming for.

Thanks in advance, my scores are in my Sig, I'm just waiting for TU FICO to update.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Re: VA Loan Questions

Yes!! Love them! Amazing to work with!! 

Here  is my story.... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Happiness-in-an-email/m-p/3314866/highlight/false#M15...

Message 2 of 3
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Re: VA Loan Questions

@Laura1369 wrote:

Yes!! Love them! Amazing to work with!! 

Here  is my story.... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Happiness-in-an-email/m-p/3314866/highlight/false#M15...

Thank you for the reply. Its good to hear you had a good experience with them. Hopefully I'm aiming for the right price range once my score hits 620.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.