Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan and Taxes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan and Taxes?

Hello all,

My question is can I be approved if I owe federal taxes from 2009 and 2010? I currently owe 13,000 total for the two years but I do not have a tax lien. I submitted my taxes late due to divorce (I know a bad idea) but arrangements have been made with the IRS to pay monthly. I have been looking all over online but I can't find an answer for my particular issue. I know with VA loans you have to be current on or have paid off all federal debt. Please help!!!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: VA Loan and Taxes?

I believe that as long as you have a written agreement for your payment plan and you are current on the payments that there will not be an issue. The problem is with delinquent federal debt. Understand that the tax payment will count in your DTI ratio. But go for it and good luck.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

+1

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 12
ChetBrown56
Valued Member

You will want to check you CAIVRS(CAY-vers) record. A mortgage lender has to do this. CAIVRS is like a credit report for federal debt. Most of the time if a federal debt is in repayment VA will allow it.

As for the CAIVRS report actually reflecting the payments is another thing. CAIVRS is a go/no-go for goverment loans. If it has something on it, it will need to be cleared before they will allow a VA Loan

Message 4 of 12
lsjohns00
New Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke to my LO today and she is going to check the guidelines for VA. Hopefully all goes well. The IRS did assure me that I didn't have a lien as long as I stick to the repayment plan.

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: EQ 653, TU 657, EX 656 Lender Pull (MyFico)
Goal Score: 720

Message 5 of 12
lsjohns00
New Contributor

Ok, so now I am being told that I will get approved for the loan but one of my conditions will be paying off the taxes I owe. Not good!

Message 6 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Are you dealing with a LO from a banking institution or a Broker?
Good Luck
Message 7 of 12
lsjohns00
New Contributor

It's NVR mortgage so I guess it's a broker type of service since the sell your loan after you close

close. 

Message 8 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Even banks sell your loan. Dont ever think otherwise. Lol

Just call another broker. While VA usually wants taxes paid they usually are okay with a repayment plan. Lender specific.
Good Luck
Message 9 of 12
lsjohns00
New Contributor

Thanks For the info. I was going to try another lender anyway as a backup plan. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.