Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan clear to close but drop in credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan clear to close but drop in credit

Hello!

So my husband (a veteran) and I are in the process of closing on a VA loan.  My husband's middle credit score was 669 and mine was 701 when we were pre-approved on April 4.  Now, my husband's middle score is 687 and mine is 690.   

My score dropped because of a new credit card that hit my credit after we were pre-approved.  The card has and will continue to have a zero balance and was reported to the credit bureaus with a zero balance.  The reason my score dropped is because it's new credit  and because of the credit inquiry from our lender.  I would never have applied for the card, except that I did not know when I applied that I would be getting a huge promotion and be asked to move across country only a couple of weeks later.   Our lender knew about the card and received the first monthly statement prior to giving us the clear to close last week. 

So, my  question is:  will the 11 point drop impact our closing if they run our credit again between now and Friday? 
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA Loan clear to close but drop in credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!

So my husband (a veteran) and I are in the process of closing on a VA loan.  My husband's middle credit score was 669 and mine was 701 when we were pre-approved on April 4.  Now, my husband's middle score is 687 and mine is 690.   

My score dropped because of a new credit card that hit my credit after we were pre-approved.  The card has and will continue to have a zero balance and was reported to the credit bureaus with a zero balance.  The reason my score dropped is because it's new credit  and because of the credit inquiry from our lender.  I would never have applied for the card, except that I did not know when I applied that I would be getting a huge promotion and be asked to move across country only a couple of weeks later.   Our lender knew about the card and received the first monthly statement prior to giving us the clear to close last week. 

So, my  question is:  will the 11 point drop impact our closing if they run our credit again between now and Friday? 

Your lender will look at the lower of the two middle scores, so in essence your scores went up from 669 to 687. If your lender knows about the new card and still gave you the CTC, I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA Loan clear to close but drop in credit

Thanks for the quick reply!  I knew that they tended to look at the lower of the two middle scores, but I also know that changes in either credit score can throw up red flags and delay the process.  I guess it's safe to assume that as long as our DTI doesn't change and there are no new credit inquiries that we should feel pretty comfortable?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.