Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan experts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan experts

I'm looking at trying or a VA loan soon for a home purchase.  I need to relocate for a job.  Credit is not that great (611 middle).  I had a few late payments almost a year ago from a job loss that brought the score down. I currently paid off all my debt but it has not reflected on my credit report. Other than this, I never had a late payment on my existing home loan or car loan.  I have a 16 year credit history.  I'm eligibly but I know VA is not necessarily guaranteed. Any input would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: VA Loan experts

as old as those lates are, you should be ok.
but any compensating factors would help the cause. down payment, lots of cash reserves, ect

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA Loan experts

me and my husband just went through standard pacific mortgage on a VA loan. our median credit scores were me-595 him  616

we make 5000 a month non taxable income. we were both hurt in service and get va disability and him SS..

we qualified for 275,000 with no money down. now the seller DID pay 3% closing, so if you dont buy a new home you may need to fork over the closing costs ect...ours came out to i believe just under 10 grand. out of pocket for me was 3,000 but most of this went into an escrow account for various things.

the VA doesn't really look at your credit, but the LO and underwriter will. i had a car loan with over 2 yrs of late payments (my ex was supposed to pay, and didn't) and they just made me write a letter explaining it was old, i grew up...blah blah blah...

it was pretty easy, but VERY time consuming. the whole process took us nearly 5 months, and this house had fallen out of escrow before and they wanted to sell in 30 days...lol

just try it out, see what you are pre-qualified for based on income, and if you can find a lender willing to pay torwards closing costs ect.

we got a brand new home for 240,069...2600sqft 3 bed 3 bath in las vegas. a sweet deal, but do your research. we almost got suckered into pretty much the same house by a diffrent developer in the same neighborhood for 150,000 more...so be patient and good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.