cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan in Texas - Can my husband be on the loan without me?

tag
agekeith22
Valued Member

VA Loan in Texas - Can my husband be on the loan without me?

We currently own a home and currently have it listed for sale.  We plan to rent for a year and during that time build our dream home.  We will be putting 5% down and applying for a VA Loan (our current home is financed with a VA Loan).  We will have $50k saved by the time we close on the new house for downpayment, closing, and reserves.

My husband works and I do not.  My husband has about a 720 credit score, where mine is about 650.  I have 2 Charge Offs on my credit that are going on 4 years old.  They are quite large, >$10k each.  The statute of limitations for a judgment is 4 years so I am hoping to clear that hurdle in the next few months.  By the time we finish building the new house the COs will be 5 years old.  In Texas, judgements don't affect your primary residence as long as you have a homestead exemption on it, so I don't see why having a judgement would matter anyways.  The charge offs are from when I lost my job and had medical issues.  There are no other credit issues on my credit report. 

My husband is certain that we can finance the new house under just his name/credit and I will be on the deed only as Texas is a community property state.  My question is, is he being reasonable, is there actually lenders out there that would not look at my credit or just look at my credit to make sure title would be safe?  We would not be able to afford to pay off the charge offs and frankly I don't want to reset the clock on these.  My husband is very optimistic about this situation, but I am a very worried.  Any and all insight and opinions are welcome.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Re: VA Loan in Texas - Can my husband be on the loan without me?

With TX being a community property state, this means that they have to use both parties' credit and debt to qualify.  We are going through the process now, and will be home shopping in two weeks in DFW.  We are only using his income, because mine will change when we move, but they had to use my credit and debt to qualify us for the loan.

Message 2 of 5
agekeith22
Valued Member

Thanks armywife, and good luck with buying a home! I had my suspicions that was the case, but had read conflicting info online. All I can hope for is that the lender only requires letters of explanation for these charge offs and not a full payoff. Worst case, we wait it out till the 7 year mark.
Message 3 of 5
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Thank you!  Good luck to you, too.  I could definitely have some wrong information and hopefully someone will correct me if so!

Message 4 of 5
agekeith22
Valued Member

Well, since a VA Loan is out because it would require payment of my charge offs, we have decided on a conventional loan with 10% down payment. According to my research, my husband could obtain the loan in his name only without my credit being a factor. Anyone that has information contradicting that statement, please let me know.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.