Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan or Back to Work Loan

tag
Mddlrthr2
Established Member

I relocated to take a job and did a short sale on the house I had owned for 15 years.  Unfortunately, I did not do enough research because I did not find out until after the fact that doing a short sale is the same as a “foreclosure” in the eyes of the mortgage lender.  My short sale was in July 2012.

A few months ago, I started the loan process to get a VA loan with QL.  I was approved for the VA loan; however, they wanted me to put down $15K and do a 15 year note, which would make my payment approximately $1500.  During this process, the purchase price of my loan changed three times from $190K to $170K to $158K.  I was told it was because I would be over 500 miles away from the residence even though I would be relocating with my job to live in the home (that didn’t matter).  I felt QL was too pushy with phone calls every week and emails almost every day.

My scores are 682 (EX), 673 (EQ), and 663 (TU). 

I do have a few derogatoriness that I want to clear up to increase my credit score and the only payments I have are for a student loan and a car payment.

My question is would I be better off getting a VA loan or trying for the FHA Back to Work Program.  I have never used my VA Loan and I do have my certificate.

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 735 EX, 723 EQ,
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: VA Loan or Back to Work Loan

@Mddlrthr2 wrote:

My question is would I be better off getting a VA loan or trying for the FHA Back to Work Program.  I have never used my VA Loan and I do have my certificate.

were you document unemployment of 6+ months?  with 20% drop in household income?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Mddlrthr2
Established Member

No, I've been with this particular employer for three years.  The Sr. Purchase Banker specifically said it was because I was currently living more than 500 miles away from where I would be buying the house even though I would be relocating with my job to where the house would be.

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You can do better with another lender - Quicken Loans has a tough time with anything other than a nearly perfect file.

Use your VA loan.

Message 4 of 5
Mddlrthr2
Established Member

Thank you.  I will start looking for another lender soon.  I just mailed a few GW letters today and want to see if my scores improve any.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.