cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Short Sale and CAIVRS

tag
Jenise43

VA Short Sale and CAIVRS

I am a veteran and currently a Dept of Defense civilian and received orders to move to my next base in early 2014. My home was underwater so I completed a VA Compromise Salein May 2014, where the VA paid the underwater amount of $68,000 to Wells Fargo to pay my mortgage loan in full. Wells Fargo did not take a loss. My credit report was not affected since the mortgage loan on my credit report is now annotated "paid in full" and "closed" and my score is still 790. I have never missed a mortgage payment or any other bill and only completed the short sale because of job transfer. I have very low debt to income ratios, and a six figure income.

According to VA mortgage rules they will waive the deficiency but I cannot use that $68,000 in VA entitlement for a new home loan in the future until I pay it back. However, I can use any remaining entitlement (combined with cash if necessary) to purchase a new home in the future. My questions are:  when can I get another VA home loan using my remaining entitlement?  Will I have the 2 year waiting period? Will my VA short sale be reported in CAIVRS even if the defieciency is waived by the VA?  Can I apply for a Conventional loan?  I'm not considering FHA because of their hefty mortgage insurance.

if there are any VA underwriters out there I'd appreciate your input. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: VA Short Sale and CAIVRS

Hi Jenise43,

It depends on the lender. Some will treat it just like a foreclosure which would require a 2 year wait from the sale date before you're eligible & other lenders will add their own overlay of 3 years just like the FHA requirements for a forclosure.

I can do a new VA mortgage 12 months from the sale date on a short sale.

A conventional loan requires 4 years from the sale date.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.