Frequent Contributor
JagerBombs89

VA Streamlined Refinance (IRRRL)

[ Edited ]

First of all I would like to thank all the members here at MyFICO for all the excellent advice that is given on this forum. I started out at a EQ:609, brought it to 650 to get financed and am currently at EQ:731 and TU:744

I have owned my home for about a year now and have a 5.5% rate on my home, with just owing over $120,000. WellsFargo picked up my loan earlier this year and I decided to call them about the Streamline Refinance. I liked everything I heard and submitted my application to refinance and below are my results (and specifics):

-15 Year refinance

-APR at 4.0%

-Monthly P&I increase of only $200/month

-No credit check required -No appraisal

-No income verification (from the VA as WellsFargo has required it)

-$800 Max total closing costs!

-Savings of over $80,000 in interest!

I am pretty excited about it and should be receiving paperwork in 2 weeks. Overall process takes about 60 days to finalize so hopefully everything goes smoothly! Wish me luck!

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: VA Streamlined Refinance (IRRRL)

Wow, sounds like a deal! Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Contributor
GRILLMASTERNEEDAHOUSE

Its funny that you mention that. I looking at IRRRL program myself to cash in at lower rates. I'm at 5.5 myself. Question?

1. Did you research anybody other that Wells Fargo?

2. Did you get a GFE stating the same thing?

Grill Master now has a house! Closed 8/26. Yay!
Frequent Contributor
JagerBombs89

GRILLMASTERNEEDAHOUSE wrote:

Its funny that you mention that. I looking at IRRRL program myself to cash in at lower rates. I'm at 5.5 myself. Question?

1. Did you research anybody other that Wells Fargo? I looked at a couple other places, like USAA, but closing costs were much higher.  WellsFargo seemed like a good choice for me because my current mortgage was at WellsFargo so I figured there would be less fees, easier approval, and a better rate. (Not sure if that is accurate or not)

2. Did you get a GFE stating the same thing? I am not sure as I have not reviewed the paperwork that they have sent.  I will be looking it over and signing shortly. 

Frequent Contributor
JagerBombs89

Just as an update... I signed the paperwork and faxed it in.  I am just waiting on an update from my mortgage consultant.

The $800 max closing cost turned out to be total max CASH DUE AT CLOSING.  The actual total settlement charges, based off the GFE, was only $3800 and only about $1500 is getting rolled into the new loan.

Frequent Contributor
JagerBombs89

So I haven't posted in here in a while but I am due to close on my refinance in 1 week!  I asked for a copy of my settlement statement and I got my final numbers.  Total settlement charges are roughly $1700, which includes a $977 credit for interest rate, and cash brought to table is only $39.  My expected time to break even is 3 months as my principal payments greatly outweigh the interest :smileyhappy:

• 15yr Refianace
  • 4.0% APR
  • $1700 In Settlement Charges
  • $39 cash brought to closing
  • $80,000 saved in interest over a 30yr loan @ 5.5% APR
New Visitor
seancollin

[ Edited ]

Is there a lot of variance in VA refinance rates? Does the VA set the rates? How are IRRRL rates determined ?  Seems like they are slightly less than conventional by about .25% just an observation....

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}