Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA home loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA home loan

I'm trying to figure out any advantages to a VA loan vs conventional pertaining just to qualifying. I'm looking at a new construction builder  (DHI) and know what a VA loan is (I have my certificate and know about the low interest and no money down) but will it help with a low credit score? Mine is 690 but my wifes is 550 so you know the reason I ask. She has too many collections (before we were married) to worry about taking care of them so would it be best maybe just for me to qualify with my 690 score instead or would the VA loan help with our poor average? 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Re: VA home loan

Is your wife eligible for the VA? If not, I think you can only use your portion of VA eligibility in the loan (or something like that).

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No she's not part of the VA loan elegibility but instead my spouse that will be on the note  as well as me, so her credit score and income(which is equal to mine) would have to be part of the qualifying right?
Message 3 of 10
dangphuocloc72
Frequent Contributor

with your score you can go to chevychase bank apply for the loan . right now in woodbridge they have many single house forclosure prize under 180000 , I just get one 190000 . very nice house . my payment only $1450 (with tax . insurance) no PMI  . Chevychase bank is good bank . they'll help you out . My Income only $46000/year . 1 auto loan 455/month , 1 child support 500/month . some credit cards , low payment . short CR . they still approve my loan .
BOFA turn me dow and some bank .
Oh I put only 3% down .
You can't put your wife on the loan , but you can put her name on the deer of tittle . good luck . if you needs ask some thing just email me .

Thanks everyone here help me befor. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The biggest advantage to VA is the no PMI as uncle sam is backing the loan-

trader wrote:
I'm trying to figure out any advantages to a VA loan vs conventional pertaining just to qualifying. I'm looking at a new construction builder  (DHI) and know what a VA loan is (I have my certificate and know about the low interest and no money down) but will it help with a low credit score? Mine is 690 but my wifes is 550 so you know the reason I ask. She has too many collections (before we were married) to worry about taking care of them so would it be best maybe just for me to qualify with my 690 score instead or would the VA loan help with our poor average? 

Message 5 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Your wife doesn't have to be VA eligible in order to be on the mortgage... only 1 applicant needs to be VA eligible.

When were your wife's collections and what were they from?
What is the sales price of the new home from DHI you have your eye on?
What is your income?
What is your wife's income?
What are your monthly payments on cc's, auto, student loans, etc.?
What are your wife's monthly payments on cc's, auto, student loans, etc.?
Are any of your wife's debts also your debts?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reason for this who thread was this website that stated
Benefits of a VA Home Loan

By choosing a VA Loan, eligible individuals can enjoy a number of money saving benefits that are not available with a conventional loan, including:

• No down payment required
  • No mortgage insurance
  • Easier qualification standards
  • Credit and income standards are not as strict
  • No prepayment penalties

and to answer some questions can you verify the above first?

When were your wife's collections and what were they from?
last 5 years from credit cards
What is the sales price of the new home from DHI you have your eye on?
125K-150K
What is your income?
31K a year. Was making 50K a year (plumber in new home industry) but now have a state job (UT campus Austin Texas) so my 31K a year is secure with excelent retirement , periodic raises, and excelent job security.  
What is your wife's income?
RN making 45K a year
What are your monthly payments on cc's, auto, student loans, etc.?
My credit cards and installment loans AFTER an infusion of funds will be about 4K total or maybe $150 a month if installment payments are paid off in full and only credit card is left. otherwise credit cards paid I would have $350 a month in 2 installment loans for 2 years. 
What are your wife's monthly payments on cc's, auto, student loans, etc.?
Auto is $425 a month , mortgage is $700 that if push comes to shove could be sold at cost of 51K with a value of 85K
Are any of your wife's debts also your debts?
None

So basically if the above statement is true with lower qualifications is it possible for me alone to go for the loan of a max of $150K?

Message 7 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

No down payment is required on VA mortgage amounts of $417k or less, no mortgage insurance is charged either, however if you have less than 10% disabled you are required to pay a VA Funding Fee (which can be financed into the loan amount), credit can & can't be more strict, just depends on your situation, income is definitely more strict than conforming loan programs though, and there are no prepay penalties on VA mortgages.

Your debt to income ratio is probably going to be too high for a $150k sales price, and might be too high for a $125k sales price too.  Assuming you only have $150/mo in other debt payments, $125k @ 6% = $749.44/mo, property taxes can be about 3% of the sales price, or $312/mo, and your insurance is probably going to be in the $60/mo ballpark... totalling $1,271/mo in payments  On $2,583.33/mo of income, that puts your debt to incmoe ratio at 49%.  VA generally wants no more than a 41% debt ratio, however a higher debt ratio may qualify if you have compensating factors.  Some of those compensating factors are:
  1. Less than 10% increase from old rent/house payment to the new housing expense
  2. A borrower’s excellent savings ability (as shown by savings accounts, stocks, 401k’s, etc.)
  3. 3 or more months cash reserves (house payments after closing) that are not part of a gift
  4. Limited use of credit (such as low/no credit card debt, no owing loans, etc.)
  5. Borrower has potential for increased earnings
  6. Borrower has income that cannot be used as qualifying income (such as your wife makes income but she couldn’t be on the loan for credit reasons, etc.)
  7. Larger than minimum down payment (0% is the minimum down payment on VA)
  8. Debt ratios significantly under the preferred levels (which wouldn’t apply to your situation)
  9. Strong credit or credit scores (680+ is considered strong credit)
  10. Time on the job, the longer the better
  11. Time at current residence, the longer the better
  12. No recent (12 months) derogatory accounts or prior derogatory accounts were due to extenuating circumstances

I've seen debt ratios up to the high 40's get approved for VA, and other friends of mine have seen debt ratios in the mid 50's get qualified for VA, so it's very possible you'd be OK for a $125k sales price.  At a $150k sales price, your debt ratio goes up to about 57% though... not to say that it couldn't qualify, but it has less of a chance.

Adding your wife's income & debts would help you qualify... puts the debt ratio about 41% on that $150k sales price; however if any collections went on credit within the last 12 months, without very good reason and due to extenuating circumstances, that would probably disqualify you from VA.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thanks for your input. Your an invaluable contributer here
Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.