Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA loan Journey!!!

tag
DCole3g
New Contributor

Re: VA loan Journey!!!

This thread has been so helpful.  I have been working on my credit trying to get in shape to get a VA loan and there are several things mentioned here that I had not taken into consideration (i.e. overdrafts on bank statements, explaning negative items in credit report, etc...).  My focus has just been trying to get to 620, which may/may not get me preapproved.  When you guys provided your tax returns, did you provide state and federal or just federal?

Message 31 of 47
MissKay
Contributor

Both. I had to show the returns and the W2s.  I justhad a son and thought they wanted him too by the end lol

Starting Score: 595 2/5/12
Current Score: 650 midscore lender pull 7/24/12
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 47
MissKay
Contributor

I couldn't edit my reply, but both state and federal

Message 33 of 47
MissKay
Contributor

So my journey is done. I have the keys and I am officially a homeowner. Closing would have been less than an hour but it took nearly 2 hours fo veterans united to wire the money because of time zone differences. I am on east coast and they are in Missouri. I recommend scheduling closing after 11. Mines was at 10. 

Anyway, good luck future homeowners. I will still. E around so reply with any questions and I will help as much as possible

Message 34 of 47
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

happy dance.jpg

Congrats on your new home!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 35 of 47
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

@basilatkinson wrote:

Hello All! I've noticed that there is little information on the process of buying through VA. So, I decided to share my journey.

My husband and I actually started a year ago. In March 2011, we decided to see if we qualified for a home. We were not keen on credit worthiness. So, we were denied and told to raise credit score and get a credit card. At the time my husband's credit was a 541. We got a $300 secured credit card from BOA and a military star card. We also paid off both of our cars. Well, since we were expecting a fourth child we had to get a SUV. So, we got a used truck. His credit score is currently 639.

A year later.... We got preapproved for a mortgage from New American Mortgage. Before we were preapproved, we had to pay the military star card down from 3000 to 1700. W also had to pay down the car loan from 20,000 to 19,000. We did that and received an approval letter. We found a new construction built by a local builder for 150,000. 4br 3ba 1812 sq Ft.... The loan amount is 153225 with the VA funding fee and the interest rate is 3.50%

Here is a time line of events:

• June 10, 2012: received pre-approval
  • July 18, 2012: submitted offer
  • July 18: offer accepted; seller paying 4000 in closing cost, $500 in due diligence, and $900 credit for refrigerator.
  • July 19: Application submitted
  • July 21: received my GFE and other disclosures 
  • July 23: Loan went to underwritingSmiley Indifferent

ESTIMATED CLOSING DATE: JULY 31, 2012

I am currently waiting for an APPROVAL for the loan!!Smiley Happy

Also documents that LO asked for:

Bank statements for last 30 days

W-2's for 2011 and 2010

Statement of service

Power of attorney (husband is deployed)

tax returns for past three years

LES

Letter of Explanation for inquiries, lates from 2010, and 1 utilities collection from 2009.

Husband's reenlistment contract (since he recently reenlisted)

Landlord's information

We also paid for the appraisal to get the ball rolling.

BTW, we used USAA Movers Advantage to find a realtor. Since we bank with them and used this service, we receive a $950 bonus!!!!

I also chose them as my homeowner's insurance.

Pray that everything goes smooth!!

first of all,  let me say a Big Congrats!!!  Did it really take 3 and a half months from statrt to finish? 

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 36 of 47
MissKay
Contributor

Not sure about basilatkinson, but mine took 2 1/2 months because of my tax issue

Message 37 of 47
MissKay
Contributor

THANK YOU WEBHOPPER

Message 38 of 47
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Congratulations!!! Just in time for the holidays Smiley Very Happy Hopefully we will start our home owners journey by spring of next year.

Message 39 of 47
basilatkinson
Established Member

Thanks! Well it took 3 1/2 months because my husband was deployed and we needed the specific power of attorney and that took one month to get from Afghanistan. It took me about 1 1/2 months to find THE perfect home. So, I would suggest to expect the whole process to take one to five months, depending on the inspection appraisal and special situations. I keep copies of all my tax returns so that was not a problem for me. But if you use our experience and prepare yourself it should not take that long. I have been in my lovely home for 3 1/2 months now and I love it. The one thing I noticed are little issues we didn't see during the walk thru. Since my home is new I have a year warranty, so I notate everything that is wrong and three months before the warranty is up I will tell them to fix all of the issues. Good Luck to everyone and their VA journey. Keep this thread going so we can help our fellow soldiers and vets. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 54101/12/2013>641
Current Score: 671
Goal Score: 700

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.