Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various forms of FICO is frustrating!

tag
mew
Valued Member

Various forms of FICO is frustrating!

I have been tracking my scores all through 2011 and 2012.  I get my Experian FICO through PSECU and Equifax FICO through DCU both monthly and my Transunion FICO through myFICO every other month or so.

The scores I had gotten at the beginning of May were as follows:

PSECU 791

DCU 752

myFICO 776

I felt like my scores were finally good enough for the lowest possible mortgage rates and today (5/22), I put in mortgage applications with two banks.

The gentleman working on my application told me my scores from the tri-merge report are as follows:

802, 759 and 752.

It is very frustrating feeling like you are making these applications with an advantage of knowing your scores.  The score that counts the most (the middle one) was actually quite a bit lower than what I expected it to be and the scores will go down as I acquire more inquiries.

I guess the bright side is that I had one score in the 800's, but the 800 score won't count for anything because lenders use the middle score.  I know it probably won't be that big of a deal when I look back on this experience, but it would be nice to know that you had the same info the lenders were going to see.

I guess it is just messing with my confidence a little.

Starting Score: 400's
Current Score: EQ 790 EX 782 TU 765 NOV 2013 (MYFICO SCORES)
Goal Score: All Above 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
datzme4ya
Established Member

Re: Various forms of FICO is frustrating!

I'm sorry .. but I don't know that I understand why you're so frustrated. Your scores are well above what lenders are looking for ... maybe I missed something??

Message 2 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

After confirming which versions of scores your lender pulled your next step would be to see what info changed in your reports from the time you got your scores and then the date your lender pulled.  It might be something as simple as a credit card balance reported and messed with utilization.  An easy fix.  The TU score from your lender was probably the newer TU 04 and the EQ score should be same version you get here.  Which would mean that something in your reports changed that changed your score in between your pull and the lender pull. 

But, as stated, even your mid-score qualifies you for the best rate.

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@datzme4ya wrote:

I'm sorry .. but I don't know that I understand why you're so frustrated. Your scores are well above what lenders are looking for ... maybe I missed something??

My thoughts exactly

Message 4 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

The point of the post was the frustration with the various fico scores and inability to obtain certain versions, the same frustration we all have about them and not knowing where we truly stand.  Or thinking you know where you do stand and learning otherwise.  Just because OP's scores are high doesn't mean they can't be frustrated just like someone who has lower scores. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 5 of 7
mew
Valued Member

I was told 760 and higher qualifies you for the best rate and I am just shy of that.  I am frustrated because I went into the application thinking I had closer to a 776, not under 760.

Nothing has changed on my reports, I waited until all accounts updated to apply.  The difference is in the formulas/versions used, but I didn't have access to the TU04 version so I didn't know that it would be 17 points lower than the TU98 version I was acquiring here on myFICO.

I know I will get a good rate, but that is a decent size point difference that I am being judged by and I would like consumers to be allowed to access and track that same score.  I might have waited if I had known.

Starting Score: 400's
Current Score: EQ 790 EX 782 TU 765 NOV 2013 (MYFICO SCORES)
Goal Score: All Above 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

From what I understand, 740 will get you the best rates. Even the lows 700s will get you really good rates.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.