Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing homes

tag
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Viewing homes

I need to know what other questions should I be asking the realtor.  or when viewing the home besides HOA fee's, property taxes.  I know I am getting a home inspector to inspect the home I really want.  Just trying to get suggestions.  Any thoughts.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BCullum
New Contributor

Re: Viewing homes

When we were looking, my favorite question was pertaining to utility bills. Helps get a broader picture of what your financial obligations are going to be for each month. Also what is the average home owners policy going for in that area. Ask about energy effiency too, radiant barrier, insulation, and the sort.

Lender Pull EQ 745 EX 734 TU 722
Message 2 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Ask for comparable sales within the past 90 days and get specifics for the sold properties (are they distressed, what about conditon, type of financing). Look at the stats for the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhood - how is the inventory now, what is the absorption rate for the specific neighborhoods you are considering.

Message 3 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

@jadeite788 wrote:

I need to know what other questions should I be asking the realtor.  or when viewing the home besides HOA fee's, property taxes.  I know I am getting a home inspector to inspect the home I really want.  Just trying to get suggestions.  Any thoughts.

You should ask what the availability is? Is it ready for move in now? If not, when will it be? Are the other offers pending on the home? How much earnest money is required? You should provide the realtor specifics that you want in a home.  Like, I need a home with at least 2 bathrooms and located in this area as I want to be in this school district.  Does the area where the home is located, contain a lot of short sales or foreclosures (as this will bring your appraisal value down and ultimately affect the equity in the home)?
The realtor then puts these preferences together and matches homes based on the amount of home you are preapproved for so your realtor will ask for a preapproval letter.  And then you take a look at the homes the realtor found for you and schedule showings.  Usually, the realtor will ask you to sign a contract with him before he will show you homes. When you find the one you like, you can put in an offer and then begin putting together the Purchase and Sales Agreement (Contract).
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

oh crap, this is a lot of stuff I have to ask.  Is there anything else.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Most good agents will answer the question before you ask.

You only need to know all this info for the homes in which you are interested Smiley Happy

Remember, once you see one you actually like, then bring out your list of questions! Relax, and have fun looking.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.