cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to buy a home in the 1st quarter of 2016 - is it realistic?

tag
BabyBlue
New Contributor

Want to buy a home in the 1st quarter of 2016 - is it realistic?

I would like to purchase property (first time buyer) in the first quarter of 2016. I am wondering if this is realistic and what can I expect:

Income: full time employment, roughly 88000 gross a year, in same field for several years and with same employer for 2.7 years

Downpayment (current savings): 40500 and growing every month

Roth IRA (possibly use towards downpayment/closing costs): 3500

Other assets: IRA and 401(k): 22000-23000 

Debt:

3 federal student loans on income-contingent repayment plan: 23700 total (5000 in one subsidized and two unsubsidized covering the rest)

6 credit cards with total credit limit about 45000, with reported minimal rotating balance (usually a couple of hundred on one card)

Credit scores: 800+ (all three) so I assume that my mortgage scores will be 750+

Questions:

1) How large of a mortgage can I expect to get approved for? I live in Northern Virginia and property prices are rather high here. My current rent is low, 1360 but I was paying 1600 on a lower salary 2 years ago. I may need to opt for either a condo or a townhome, so I will probably have to pay either HOA or condo fees (around 200-300) a month. 

2) Other than paying off student loans, what can I do to minimize their impact on the size of the mortgage? Is it better to make a smaller downpayment and pay one off? Consolidate the two unsubsidized to bring the monthy payment for them to about 140 per month? All the loans are currently on income contingent repayment plan. The payment is about 250 for all three but I don't think I will qualify for ICR next year so a standard payment, if not consolidated, would be around 420. Should I even do anything before I talk to a loan officer?

3) Are there any banks that you would recommend that I reach out to? Ideally, I would like to move in or shortly before May (when my current lease expires). When should I start talking to someone or looking at properties? 

Thank you for any advice that you can offer!!!

*****Edited to correct a typo.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to buy a home in the 1st quarter of 2016 - is it realistic?

What kind of loan? Conventional or FHA? Very big differences between the two in terms of DTI and how student loans affect DTI.

Message 2 of 5
BabyBlue
New Contributor

I have been thinking about a conventional 30-year loan. I don't want to pay PMI for the life of the loan.

But if an FHA loan is more advantageous in the short run, I would be willing to go with it and refi once my student loans are paid off. 

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You have provided excellent information. The missing info to answer your question is:

• annual real estate taxes
  • homeowners insurance annual premium costs
  • price point

My daughter and her husband lived in Springfield (Fairfax county) a few years ago and even for a townhome at that time you were looking at the $250k+ range.  For a SFR $400k and more seems to be the base amount (at that time period).  What price point are you considering? 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/...

Message 4 of 5
BabyBlue
New Contributor

I have been looking at properties within 240k-350k range and would be relatively happy with something in the low 300s. But, I am not sure if I would qualify for such a mortgage based on my income alone. That's why I asked how much I can be approved for. The purchase price will be dependent on that.  

As far as taxed and homeowners insurance premium are concerned, I am not sure how much exactly I can expect; probably around 3000-3500 in taxes. I am not sure about condo insurance premiums in the area - say 50 per month? I don't think it should be higher than that, right? 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.