cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to buy a house next year. What should I be doing(and can I)?

tag
astrangerwcandy
Contributor

Want to buy a house next year. What should I be doing(and can I)?

Okay here's my info.

Gross Income: $37,000 from working for state government

Bills: $425 car payment, 100 car insurance, 50 student loans

Credit Scores: Currently 650ish on all three

Price Range: I'd like to get a small house no more then $130k

As far as my credit score it's currently in the 650s because I have high utilization of around 50% and some new cards. I do have two old paid COs that are aproximately 4 years old. First order of business is to bring my CC utilization down to 0. I have a 22,000k auto loan which I've been on time with for over a year and is currently sitting with a balance of 17500. I have 3000 in student loans I'm paying back currently also never late and finally I have a 1700 computer (for my work) that I'm currently repaying on a 0% for 12 months dell account that I'll be paying off shortly. I would imagine just getting my balances on my credit cards and paying off the dell account will get my credit score into the 680s-690s. As far as liquid cash I have about 2k in savings. The rest is going towards paying off CCs/revolving accounts for the moment. Once I have the last two CCs paid off and the dell account paid off is there anything else I should do prior to trying to prequalify?

One other thing that may be worth noting is I intend on getting a roommate to live in the house with me and pay half of the mortgage. Right now my best friend wants to get out of his apartment and would move in with me. I'm sure I can't put that as an income source when applying for the mortgage but figured it might be worth mentioning. Does this sound feasible? How much of a down payment will I need to have? Any and all advice is welcome as this is my first home purchase.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to buy a house next year. What should I be doing(and can I)?

@astrangerwcandy wrote:

Okay here's my info.

As far as my credit score it's currently in the 650s because I have high utilization of around 50% and some new cards. I do have two old paid COs that are aproximately 4 years old. First order of business is to bring my CC utilization down to 0. I have a 22,000k auto loan which I've been on time with for over a year and is currently sitting with a balance of 17500. I have 3000 in student loans I'm paying back currently also never late and finally I have a 1700 computer (for my work) that I'm currently repaying on a 0% for 12 months dell account that I'll be paying off shortly. I would imagine just getting my balances on my credit cards and paying off the dell account will get my credit score into the 680s-690s. As far as liquid cash I have about 2k in savings. The rest is going towards paying off CCs/revolving accounts for the moment. Once I have the last two CCs paid off and the dell account paid off is there anything else I should do prior to trying to prequalify?

One other thing that may be worth noting is I intend on getting a roommate to live in the house with me and pay half of the mortgage. Right now my best friend wants to get out of his apartment and would move in with me. I'm sure I can't put that as an income source when applying for the mortgage but figured it might be worth mentioning. Does this sound feasible? How much of a down payment will I need to have? Any and all advice is welcome as this is my first home purchase.

Based on the information you have supplied you would be looking in the amount of 75K-90K in a home purchase. Different factors needed to help in determining such as insurance, taxes, interest rate, what type of loan conventional, FHA, VA, etc etc... Any negatives in credit report? How long employed? These are the basic general questions needed to give yourself an idea of how much hme you can afford. There are many calculators online you can play around with to give you an idea.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
astrangerwcandy
Contributor

Yeah I've thought about just getting a nice townhome which can be bought in my area for 60-75k (these were townhomes which prior to the bubble bursting were selling for 120-160k) and figured that may be the way to go. My only concern with that is when I'm ready to upgrade to something larger down the line they seem to be even harder then regular homes to sell (although I may just be overthinking things).

As far as employment I have had nonstop employment for 4 years, however I just started my current job which I took because it paid more and is kinda the reason I'm looking to finally buy my own place. I did mention what negatives are on my credit report. There are two old paid COs and that's it for negatives. As far as type of loan I just assumed I'd go for a 30 year fixed rate since rates are at historic lows.

Message 3 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Have you checked Fannie Mae Homepath houses?  There are tons and tons down in Florida and they look like they are going for less than 70K on average.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't get any new credit cards or open any accounts that pull credit....trust me....its been a B in explaining every single little thing to the UW's...

Also, if you find something you like, jump on it really quickly because it may take awhile to close....

Finally, and I can not stress this enough.....get to know your realtor and loan originator.....do not go through the listing agent AND get a repoire going with your loan originator well enough to be able to ask many questions, because trust me, you will ask plenty....

Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@astrangerwcandy wrote:

Okay here's my info.

Besides getting excellent individual advice from members at the top of the page when you first get to this board there are several what we call "stickied" threads that might have some useful information for you.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.