cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to refinance my FHA loan so I can stop paying PMI. CAN IT BE DONE AFTER 6MONTHS?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to refinance my FHA loan so I can stop paying PMI. CAN IT BE DONE AFTER 6MONTHS?

I got a FHA loan from wells fargo 6 months ago and paying it great noproplem with that, I just don't like giving money away and that what it look like when every month $251 goes to PMI. Can I refi the FHA loan after 6 months. I have a equity in my home..bal $267k aprse when i got it $305k APR 3.87%..jUST DON'T LIKE SEEING THAT PMI EVERY MONTH., that money can go to paying down my house..

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to refinance my FHA loan so I can stop paying PMI. CAN IT BE DONE AFTER 6MONTHS?

You will need to put about $23,000 down to get a conventinal loan without PMI. You need an 80% loan-to-value ratio before you can get a loan without PMI from my understanding, so if it appraises at $305k, then your loan can't be more than $244k. 

It's possible that the value of the house went up a bit in the 6 months since you bought it so that would help, it would depend on the appraisal. 

Message 2 of 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to refinance my FHA loan so I can stop paying PMI. CAN IT BE DONE AFTER 6MONTHS?

Actually you can do LPMI with conventional and pay the PMI all up front and be done with it.

Message 3 of 11
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

Actually you can do LPMI with conventional and pay the PMI all up front and be done with it.

What is the advantage of doing it that way vs rolling it into the mortgage?

I know with FHA Mortgage Insurance, there is an "Up Front" portion, that gets rolled into the mortgage, and then there is also a monthly payment that is separate from that. 

Message 4 of 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

With conventional, you just have the upfront part with no monthly payments. It can be a huge savings.

Message 5 of 11
jonathanw84
Established Member

I am wondering the same thing. My wife and I purchased a house in April and pay about $200 in PMI because we did an FHA with 3.5% down. We owe $180k and the house was appraised at $187k. I'd love to get rid of the PMI and save some money. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Refi conventional yes.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to put money down? Also do I need over a 660 middle score? Thank you
Message 8 of 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

680 middle score, and you will need to pay the LPMI up front or they cant raise your rate a little.

Message 9 of 11
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Tooleman: Do you know how much LPMI is? What percentage?

And is 680 the minimum for all lenders? Does a larger down payment make any difference in what credit score you need?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.