cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to try for a Mortgage, should I refi my car loan now or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to try for a Mortgage, should I refi my car loan now or wait?

Hi all! I still owe 18,000 in my car loan, I was thinking of paying $10,000 toward it and trying to refi the loan (because my payments are on the high side right now).  Would I be better off holding off until after I get my family into a house or should I do it now?  The reason I'm considering it, is because I might be able to qualify for more house with a lower car payment.  On the other hand, I'm alittle worried if I do refi, it would restarting my "clock" on the installment loan. (It's been 2 yrs since its been reporting on my CR with no lates). 

Any help would be great! Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Want to try for a Mortgage, should I refi my car loan now or wait?

IMO i would work on getting ready for the mortgage app and put all credit transactions on hold until you get your mortgage closed. 

Message 2 of 5
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@namvet wrote:

IMO i would work on getting ready for the mortgage app and put all credit transactions on hold until you get your mortgage closed. 

Sounds like some great advice.  I am going to use this one for myselfSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Pap22
Established Member

You can use this calculator to find out if the lower car payments will indeed let you qualify for more house:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/calculators/afford.html

If it doesn't, you'll probably be better off saving that money for the mortgage down payment or future housing expenses. 

Assuming similar low interest rates, rather than refinance the car loan I would pay down the principal. This way you don't incur the hit of:

1. An inquiry
  2. A new account lowering your AAoA, and
  3. The clock being reset to the beginning of a "new" loan, thus increased risk (as lenders see it).

Make sure you talk to your bank about how to go about paying down the principal. Otherwise they will simply apply the extra payment as credit for future payment, but your monthly amount owed will remain unchanged:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/debt/20050520a1.asp

Let me know if this helps! 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all so much for the advice.  I'll definitely be holding off until after we secure a home Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.