cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to prequalify for a mortgage and cant seem to get scores where they need to be

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanting to prequalify for a mortgage and cant seem to get scores where they need to be

@Anonymous wrote:

By the way, we had taken out a secured loan with a low interest rate to pay off these two loans that we had that carried a 54% interest rate.  When the new loan reported to our CR's, we lost about 10 pts. a piece.  How long does that take to recover and become a positive factor?  Why dont CRA's look at paying off a high interest debt with a low interest debt as smart credit usage? 

They don't factor interest rates into the scoring formula as you've noticed.  All the formula sees is that you needed more credit, which can be a sign of financial risk for lenders.  Some of the point loss may come from the inquiry as well.  Good luck!

Message 41 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanting to prequalify for a mortgage and cant seem to get scores where they need to be

Okay so the latest update is this...We paid to rescore our Experian Bureaus because they were the midscore and needed them to come up just a bit.  They jumped 52 pts. for me and 61 pts. for the husband.  So it is now our high score.  Everything went to Desktop Underwriting today and came back Approved-Referred.  Which pretty much kills us.  Because we had a late pay in 02/2009, Manual Underwriting requires that it be a year old.  But that wasn't what cause the Approved-Referred.  We had a creditor that was discharged in our CH 7 BK in 11/2006 that for some reason decided to rereport to our CB's in 05/2009.  Can they even do this?  I know that debts can stay on your credit file for some time after BK, but can they rereport?  Is all Manual Underwriting requirements the same? 
Message 42 of 44
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

WHOA?  They were included in BK7 and they're rereporting?  Sounds like you need to kick some a** on this one.
Message 43 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it was our first mortgage.  Apparently at some point during the bankruptcy it was turned over to American Home Mortgage Services Inc.  They reported in 07/2006 that the debt was included in CH 7 BK and showed no balance, no payment due etc...but did show the prior lates before the BK.  Then all was quiet for three years until 05/2009 when they for some reason reported the same information mentioned above, but with a new report date.  I contacted American today and they had no record of the acct. number shown on my bureaus.  Couldn't retrieve the acct. by name, SS#, property address and everything else the guy tried.  So he gave me a fax number to fax a letter to stating the problem and said that they would respond in 48-72 hours. I guess we will see on that part.  Now back to the problem...So when we went through DU today, it makes the computer think that the lates are recent because of the recent reporting.  Normally, it would then go to manual underwriting and the underwriter would override it because it is part of the BK.  But when we go to manual underwriting, the underwriter wont override the late pay we had on our car loan 02/2009.  He says that the late has to be 12 mo. old.  At least that is what the loan officer is telling me.  That is why I want to know if all manual underwriters have the same guidelines to follow, or if I would get it overridden elsewhere?  We need to get this loan closed now.  We have already moved into the new house under a lease agreement.  I cant move again Smiley Sad
Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.