cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to keep my score up or higher while my home is being built.

tag
lsumichelle

Ways to keep my score up or higher while my home is being built.

Long time reader, first time poster. I was pre-approved for a home loan last month and we ended up deciding to build. House will be ready in August. (tentatively) According to my FICO on Discover my score is 728. I'm so nervous that something is going to happen between now and August...whatever it may be.

Also when I applied for the loan, a hard inquiry showed up on my report which brought my score down of course. :/ Will that happen again when they begin underwriting on the house in a few months?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Ways to keep my score up or higher while my home is being built.

Just keep on doing what you are doing, dont get new credit and if a collection notice comes take care of it ASAP.

When the house is finished they will pull your credit again, but your score would have rebounded from the pull you just got.

Message 2 of 6
klondike
Valued Member

Most lenders will usually do a soft pull a couple days before you close to see if anything changes, that's what mine did and I close tomorrow at noon.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
lsumichelle

That is good to know. My girlfriend is also closing on a new build in July and her score is around 650 and she's extremely worried as well. *sigh* Why is buying a new house so stressful.

I am getting a raise next month, an additional job and my furniture will be paid off. They already made me pay off 2 small merchant cards. I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm terrified to use my Discover at all tho.

Message 4 of 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

They wont do a soft pull if you are building.. When they house is ready its time for the real deal.

Message 5 of 6
lsumichelle

Right that's what I thought. When I was told to basically hold in place and not move for 5 months I was like...ugh. Should I even cancel my summer vacation. We're not cancelling we're just not using any credit. Nice to have a toilet that's never been used but comes with a summer full of anxiety and heavy drinking.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.