Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're close (I think)

tag
MrsP
Valued Member

We're close (I think)

So, we got our pre-approval, we made our offer, the sellers agreed, we signed the contract, had the inspection, and now we're waiting for the appraisal and documents to sign from the mortgage company.  We're close right?  Once we sign the papers with the mortgage company does that constitute our mortgage commitment?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: We're close (I think)

sounds like those papers will only be a loan application.... not a commitment
have you been thru underwriting?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 11
MrsP
Valued Member

I'm not sure.  How would I know if we'd been through underwriting?  The company that we're dealing with is a direct lender as well as an approved lender through FHA.
Message 3 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

have you signed a loan ap?
provided w-2s and paystubs and bank statements?

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 11
MrsP
Valued Member

I e-mailed our "mortgage guy" and asked and he told me that the papers he's sending for our signature are an application and disclosures.  He also called me and said that our loan was approved and "in process" and that we won't get a commitment until the appraisal is done.

I just don't want to get done to the wire after going through all this for someone to say "oh, sorry.  You've been denied a mortgage".
Message 5 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Then you haven't been thru underwriting. Prbably just got an automated approval.
Underwriter just checks eveything in the file and makes sure the data input into automated underwriter is acceptable/provable

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 11
MrsP
Valued Member

So does that mean that there is still a chance that we will not be approved for a mortgage?
Message 7 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

MrsP wrote:
So does that mean that there is still a chance that we will not be approved for a mortgage?

yes. but if the loan officer is half decent, then they put good info into the system

who is the lender?
Retired Lender
Message 8 of 11
MrsP
Valued Member

Smiley Sad That's not good.  We've come so far in the process based on the idea that we wouldn't have a problem getting approved.  The company name is Jersey Mortgage.  The guy assured me that he wouldn't have "wasted his time" if didn't think we would get our approval.  Was that just a sales pitch?
Message 9 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

it is probably solid.
as long as he verified income/assets you should be golden

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.