Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighing between buying a house or moving into a nicer apartment

tag
last4ever

Weighing between buying a house or moving into a nicer apartment

Background, the negative:

2005 - dismissed ch 7 bankruptcy, house foreclosure, several collection accounts totaling aprox $1500.

2007 - Car repossessed, still owe aprox $3k

Since 2007, the positive:

4 credit cards, $0 balance (pay off each month)

No new loans, paid off all collection accounts

graduated with a BA in economics, starting a Masters program this fall

Secure stable Job (Since Jan), gross annual income is $62,000

Getting ready to marry my girlfriend of 2 years, once married combined gross annual income will be $120k+

Current fico scores:

TU - 620

EF - 586

EX - ?

We are currently living in a one bedroom apartment paying $1150 rent.  We both want to get a dog, and our current building doesn't allow pets.  Our options are to move to a more expensive apartment where rent would be $2000+, or possibly buy a house.  My question is what makes the most sense.  We have about $20k saved which can be used for a downpayment, but I'm just not sure if I could qualify for an FHA loan?

Thanks for your comments!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Weighing between buying a house or moving into a nicer apartment

I'm nearly certain your middle score will have to get up to 620.  I've read here that Wells Fargo will go lower, but haven't ready any posts where a person actually closed  a home with a score lower than 620.  You're close!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

With those rent prices, are you in NY by any chance?

If so, paid collections and judgements come off your report in 5 years instead of 7.  Using your savings to pay of the car that you had repossessed would get it off your report and bump your score.  I might be wrong, it's been a while since I was in credit rebuilding mode - but if I am someone will correct me!  :-)

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 3 of 4
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

I know that paying the repo won't get it off your report. It would most likely be updated to paid repo which doesn't really help your score. #1 hopefully this bump will enable the pros to see your post to give you additional feedback & #2 go over to the rebuilding boards to get some help boosting your score. Many lenders use TU 04 not 98 which is what you get here. EQ is dead on. If you want to apply with you gf, you need to know her credit situation and scores too.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.