cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo GW question.. is this truth?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo GW question.. is this truth?

My parents tried to get a GW adjustment for a 30 day late on there mortgage this January.  This late, is the only late in their 10 year history with WF, due to a lost check that never arrived to WF during the Christmas holiday.  They didn't realize until a late notice came in the mail,  at that time the payment was immediately made over the phone. After doing so WF refunded the late charge and we were told to fax a letter to them explaining what happened to get the late off the credit reports. 

Well today they get a call from a rude WF agent saying that a GW adjustment is illegal?? Is that true??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wells Fargo GW question.. is this truth?

turbowrx wrote:

My parents tried to get a GW adjustment for a 30 day late on there mortgage this January.  This late, is the only late in their 10 year history with WF, due to a lost check that never arrived to WF during the Christmas holiday.  They didn't realize until a late notice came in the mail,  at that time the payment was immediately made over the phone. After doing so WF refunded the late charge and we were told to fax a letter to them explaining what happened to get the late off the credit reports. 

Well today they get a call from a rude WF agent saying that a GW adjustment is illegal?? Is that true??

No. Creditors are required to report accurate info.  If a creditor reported a change to the CRAs without changing their own records first, then it is illegal because it is not reporting accurately. However, a GW is basically a call for help for the creditor to change their own records first, and then report the accurate info found in their system to the CRAs, which is not illegal.

You can search around for more info, but most creditors accept GWs without any problems at all, but some use that excuse to prevent any changes.

I had a Verizon Wireless CO that was like that. It was unpaid and I wrote and called over and over and over again. I clearly remember one friendly phone where I asked for a PFD. The CSR came back with "it's illegal". I politely explained that it is not illegal if you accept the PFD first and make the change in your own records before contacting the CRAs. We went around and around with the legality of it, but, perhaps after being worn out, she then admitted that it wasn't illegal that her supervisors always tell her to say that. Then she used a new excuse, "It wouldn't be fair to the others if we accepted your PFD and not other PFDs." Oh well.

Tell your folks to send it again and again and again. Try also sending to the CEO/Pres of WF. Tell them to also try planetfeedback.com (sent my PFD through them to Verizon and an exec @ VZW accepted it).

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, you've given them new hope!  We fight on!
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Tell them "good luck". Persistence is key and it may even take dozens of requests to get them to work with your folks.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just told the same thing by BofA yesterday.  "illegal"  hmmmmm
Message 5 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If there's one success story, then there will be others.

WF Mortgage:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=52474&query.id=337...

BofA CC:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=32812&view=by_da...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&message.id=25636&query.id=...

I'd search more but limited on time. I know BofA is CC, but it is the same back-office credit department. IMO, be careful about using any phone numbers in these threads.

Message 6 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Talking to a different cust svc rep makes a big difference.

You just need one without an attitude problem...... Maybe that cust svc rep has bad credit and isn't a happy person.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 9
Rebuilding101
Regular Contributor

I was told the same thing. Seems Wells Fargo is really anti GWs

Starting Score(4/1/10): EQ: 631--- TU: 646
Current Score(4/1/10): EQ: 725--- TU: 686
Goal Score: EQ: 850--- TU: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

all mortgage companies are very anti-GW.  They are alot less likely to grant a GW on a mortgage than a cc or loan.  That said, GW's are not illegal, but there is no legal way to make it happen, it is the company's choice to do so.  And a late payment, whether lost in the mail or not, is always the fault of the payee.  Just keep trying though. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.