cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo asking me to close credit card accounts for mortgage?

tag
fieldzz
New Visitor

Wells Fargo asking me to close credit card accounts for mortgage?

Hi All, 

Currently in the process of getting preapproved from Wells Fargo. I used them on my last mortgage and was simple and straightforward. This time around, the person I was talking with on the phone for the preapproval told me to cacel about 6-7 cards to get my preapproval. 

I was under the impression that if a card has a $0 balence then they will not take that card into account int the debt to income ratio. To cancel 6-7 cards would obviously impact my FICO score, and doesn't seem like a really good option. 

3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Wells Fargo asking me to close credit card accounts for mortgage?

@fieldzz wrote:

Hi All, 

Currently in the process of getting preapproved from Wells Fargo. I used them on my last mortgage and was simple and straightforward. This time around, the person I was talking with on the phone for the preapproval told me to cacel about 6-7 cards to get my preapproval. 

I was under the impression that if a card has a $0 balence then they will not take that card into account int the debt to income ratio. To cancel 6-7 cards would obviously impact my FICO score, and doesn't seem like a really good option. 

^^^Get away from WF.  They are awful when it comes to originating a mortgage. The fact that they asked you to close 6 to 7 credit cards in order to get a mortgage pre-approval illustrates the LO's misunderstanding of how FICO scoring works (IMO).

Find a real LO with a mortgage lender that only issues mortgages and doesn't do bank accounts or other banking functions. Stay away from the big box banks - they really have changed their mortgage origination process over the past decade since the mortgage meltdown. Besides, WF has a reputation for issuing the pre-approval and then not being able to actually close the loan. Go to someone trustworthy. 

Message 2 of 4
kc0039
Established Contributor

Really? Why close 6 or 7 cards when you carry a zero balance? I should switch my FHA loans to a different investor as well then.

Licensed in IL
Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

no need to do this.

go to a mortgage broker or mortgage banker. they can preapprove you without closing cards. AND... likely sell your loan to wf

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.