Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What age did you buy your first home?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What age did you buy your first home?

I am just curious, at what age did everybody here buy their first home? I am currently 20 yo and just got my first auto loan on a new car without a co-signer and wondering what kind of criteria are banks looking for  now for first time buyers. I am currently in school but I am also a reservist with USMC. I believe there are better loans for military personnel.
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What age did you buy your first home?

I was 26 years old.  My fiance bought his first house when he was 22.

Message 2 of 49
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

I was 29 when I bought my house. Based on the scores you have posted (I assume those are FICO scores) and the information I have heard on these boards you will probably need to raise your credit scores a bit before qualifying for a loan.  If I remember correctly I have heard 580 used as the min score for a mortgage. To qualify for the best interest rates you want scores around 760. Basically the higher your scores the better your rate and the less your house costs you. Your car loan will help your scores as it will add an installment loan. You should see a score bump in 6-12 months as that account ages. Do you have a timeline for a home purchase or are you just starting to think about it? 
Message Edited by cobaltnv on 12-10-2008 03:11 PM
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definetely just beginning to think about it. I am desperately trying to get rid of Wachovia charge off account. I have sent numerous PFD letters with no response. Its been about 6 months since I have heard anything from Wachovia. I will be finishing up my degree in the next 2 years and more then likely will transfer to active duty then. I have a good paying job now, around 36k after taxes and beginning to save up some money. I have a large balance on my credit cards now as I have been using them to buy christmas gifts but I usually see 80 score increase whenever I pay them off completely. I currently have 3 credit cards that I have applied for on my 18th birthday(yes, thats right) and have had them every since with no lates. I have a paid off lease through Aarons  on some furniture that has been reported. $500 peronal loan from Navy Federal and a brand new (just mailed my first payment) auto loan through ford credit.  Should I add another line of credit in the mix for a better long term outcome or am I ok? I have no trouble making my current payments.
Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bought my first place @ 22 wife was on the loan, same age.

I have around a 650 score and she was about 630, we both make pretty decent money, but I qualified on only making 38k, and her @ 36k.

It was a lil stretch but we did get a loan @ 180k.

Your credit score is important, as is your debt to income ratio. Assuming you are doing FHA.

Message 5 of 49
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

we dont age discriminate.

you qualify or you dont.

right now, you dont. lets see the scores after you pay down cards.

ho long have you been working this job?

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not being bitter at all (yeah right) I plan on buying next spring at the age of 29 for a max purchase price of $170K with a single income.

Good Luck to you! and Kudos to your financial security that you are able to buy a house so young. 

You Honestly ROCK!! 

If everyone at your age (or my age) had that security we would all be rich by the age of 40!

Message 7 of 49
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm the only one still renting at 35.  Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ehh, Don't feel bad.  I am just now at 33, in a position to be abel to purchase a house.  That is mainly because prices have taken such a dive here in California.  Anyhow, my mom just bought her first house 5 years ago (can't tell you her age because that would just be plain rude).  It's all a matter of timing an oprotunity.
Message 9 of 49
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I purchased when I was 26, I'm 30 now.  I would've preferred selling at 28, then renting for the past 2 years while my home value took dive.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.