cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What age did you buy your first home?

tag
demi
Established Contributor

Re: What age did you buy your first home?

I'm a late bloomer, just bought my first at 50.  Some excuses due to living in a really, really expensive place (Monterey) for 20 years, some lousy credit situation and needing to grow up.  For me, the housing situation (mess) we are in was perfect timing, sounds awfull, but probably would not have happenend otherwise for me.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 49
cam006
Contributor

well, I'll put it out there....39.  After some credit ignorance and lots of missteps DH (36) and I got there.  So don't feel bad if your still renting everyone doesn't get there at the same time.  And honestly being a bit older, wiser and making more money than I was when I was younger certainly doesn't hurt me.  Being military- you should consider VA depending on when you want to buy.
7/11/08: EQ: 635, TU: 658, EX: 607
10/10: TU 634, EQ 626, Ex 626
9/14/2012: TU 622, EQ 660
10/16/2012: TU 731, EQ 706 - finally on my way!
Message 12 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was 20 years and 9 months old... cost was $26K for a 2 bed/2ba condo on an FHA loan.  I still own it (it's a rental property now).  Six months later I bought a new TransAm....  OH, TO BE YOUNG AGAIN!
Message 13 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're **hoping** to be home-owners for the very first time next year! I will be 39 (40 in July) and DH will be 42 (43 in May).

So, Ilecs, no offense, but yannow ... compared to us, you and your sweet wife are just babies!! Smiley Happy

Which I could tell by your avatar! Mine haven't looked THAT young in nearly 10 YEARS!! Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 49
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Well, Wonderin, we are following wisdom (aka You).
Message 15 of 49
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:
I guess I'm the only one still renting at 35.  Smiley Sad

Not to worry I have you beat, 46 and still not a homeowner. Smiley Indifferent

Message 16 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Demi, I used to live in Monterey as a kid and its a wonderfull place but it is extremely expensive. I was recently looking at listing in Monterey. Tiny condos are going for 300k. Smiley Sad I would love to move there but as you said it yourself I simply cant afford to. Looks like Northern Virginia will be my home for a while....
Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-12-2008 06:12 AM
Message 17 of 49
demi
Established Contributor

Funny thing is when I moved there, right out of college, I would look in the paper and think how inexpensive every thing was (came from the Bay Area, was way more expensive there then, at least for your average house), but I was in no position to buy.  The problem is its not only very expensive, but the wages are low...it is regularly on the "lists", often tops them, of the most expensive place to live, when you compare wages and housing costs.  I worked for the county, and when they would look at comparison counties for wages, they would literally adjust the salaries down 5% for the "pleasure" of working in such a beautiful, desirable area.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 24...and in underwriting...
Message Edited by slyhouse08 on 12-12-2008 09:24 AM
Message 19 of 49
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

dvroberts81 wrote:
Demi, I used to live in Monterey as a kid and its a wonderfull place but it is extremely expensive. I was recently looking at listing in Monterey. Tiny condos are going for 300k. Smiley Sad I would love to move there but as you said it yourself I simply cant afford to. Looks like Northern Virginia will be my home for a while....
Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-12-2008 06:12 AM

Tiny condos go for $300k here too, right? There were going to build new condos down the road from us here in Fairfax before the crunch. The sign was up and advertising for $1.1M for a 2 bedroom condo. Since the credit crunch, the sign was removed and they never began construction. No surprise they didn't have any takers.

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.