cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What all did you have to buy for your new home?

tag
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

What all did you have to buy for your new home?

I thought this would be a fun topic to discuss! Smiley Happy

My wife and I will be moving into our new home in 15 days and we're trying to gauge how much we'll initially spend on things for the house. We're moving from a small apartment into a nice sized house. We aren't bringing much (just a breakfast table, bedroom set, TVs + Stand) to the new place, so we'll be pretty much starting from scratch as far as furnishing and getting other things we need. We're not trying to furnish the whole home at once, but we'd like to at least get appliances and a living room set.

My wife and I had a rude awakening over the weekend when we were looking at refrigerators. The only one that would fit correctly is a counter-depth fridge, which to my surprise, cost a hell of a lot more than a regular fridge. I would've sucked it up and got a regular if it didn't protrude a full 12 inches past our countertops. 

I know there's a ton of people on here who have closed recently or are closing really soon, so what all did you have to buy for your new home? Were there any unforeseen expenses you had to incur?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Re: What all did you have to buy for your new home?

Oy vey!

Washer and dryer getting delivered tomorrow.

Bought a new sofa, accent chair, bedroom set.

Will be getting a new mattress soon.

Need a lot of accent pieces. Painting, plants etc. The walls are bare!

But that's about it so far.

Next plan will be a privacy fence and in ground fire pit.
Message 2 of 13
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

New Fridge and coutch were the biggest.

Had to buy a new lawn mower, and picking up a new grill this week.

While the house was being built, my Wife bought all kinds of stuff for the house. A good years worth of stuff piled up in the garage.

Message 3 of 13
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Need to buy a fridge as soon as we close, will not be cheap ($6000+ Smiley Sad )

Also need a new dining room table with chairs since our current one would look ridiculous in the new house it's so small. 

Those are really the only two immediate needs. Later on we need furniture for entry foyer and den plus additional furniture for the living room, like chairs and such, since what we have currently is for a much smaller room.

Message 4 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

That's some fancy fridge! $6k...wow...

What about window treatments. Everytime I bought a new built home window treatments were a big expense....

Message 5 of 13
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

6k is actually a good price for a built in.

Message 6 of 13
HomeBuyer13
Established Member

I need to get new window blinds for the entire house, since it comes with none. That's the first thing I am going to get. I also need to get new canvas paintings for my walls, a new vacuum and floor steamer. Luckily, I don't have to get much.  Oh, I also need to install a fence for my dogs and get a new grill.  I don't have a lot of money stashed away, so I'll be purchasing things piece by piece.  My house is already furnished anyway.  I'm not a packrat, so I like things minimal.

Message 7 of 13
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Refrigerator

Upright Freezer

Washer/Dryer

Dishwasher

Stove

Convection Microwave

Garage Door Opener

Level

Studfinder

Drill

Mailbox

Paint/Supplies

Fence (DIY)

Dining Room Table

Several Shelving Units

2 Desks

Sewing Table

Mower

Trimmer

Shovel

Hoe

Spade

Garage Wall Tool Organizer

Trash Cans

Cabinet/Drawer Organizers

Now that it's our first Spring: $3,000 in landscaping/garden supplies turning our horrid back yard into a garden oasis. Growing veggies to try to make up for the horrific amount I'm into Lowe's for with all of the above.  Thank heavens for 0% interest offers.

No real surprises, per se, but having 3 bathrooms has upped the cleaning supplies/TP stock a wee bit as well as the organization things that go along with teenage girls.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 8 of 13
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

That's some fancy fridge! $6k...wow...

What about window treatments. Everytime I bought a new built home window treatments were a big expense....

Crap totally forgot about window treatments! Yes, that is actually the 2nd most important thing we need to get after the fridge. Also need front yard landscaping within 60 days of moving in per the HOA rules

The fridge is a pretty crazy splurge and as Tooleman said, it's not even considered a lot for a built in, which is nuts because they really dont do anything different than a stand along fridge, they just look more sleek. The $6000+ is a Kitchenaid too, not even like a Sub Zero, which are $8,000 - $10,000+.

http://www.abt.com/product/28639/KitchenAid-KBRC36FTS.html

Message 9 of 13
aj1505
Established Member

The builder that used includes a lot of the appliances , so Im happy that money we dont have to spend. We will need to get a washer and dryer, garage door opener, window treatments, and ceiling fans. The wants we are looking at are a large screen tv, a grill, new living room furniture and I really want a Sonos speaker. Oh and DW wants one of those motion sense Moen faucets for the kitchen. 

Starting Score: 550's
Current Score 2/20: EX: 668 MyFico: TU 676 EQ 676
Goal Score: 720s
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.