Did you mean: 

What are my best options?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are my best options?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How long ago were they COed? And, most importantly, is the CA updating the CRAs on the status each month?

They were charged off in july of 2008.  There is no CA reporting; the OC (Key Bank) is reporting the charge off each month and told my wife they will continue to do so until they are paid in full. 

Ouch. That really sucks. I have to say, since we're rebuilding DH's credit (high 600s ain't good enough), we're desperate for every "goodie" we can get. Our balance NEVER gets updated -- nor the payment history. :/

Is that loan a Federal loan? Or a private loan? AFAIK, only defaulted Federal loans preclude you from the FHA program.

I believe it is a federal Perkins loan, but I am not sure.  In fact, my wife it completely unfamiliar with the loan and despite graduating over 5 years ago, has never made a single payment on this loan (credit report states "first payment never received", except for Equifax which still shows that it's in dispute, which was initated months ago...). 

If she were to be included on an FHA loan, I'm 99.9% sure that it would have to be rehabbed first. Have you tried rehabbing it?

If PA's not a community state, she can be left out. I know I was. DH is getting an FHA loan all on his lonesome.

How can I determine this? 

I just Googled it and PA is NOT a C/P state. Your wife should not have to be on the loan -- nor her debts considered.

HOWEVER, they will want to know why, since you're married, why your spouse is not a co-borrower. They asked me point-blank if I had any government or government-backed debts -- and said that if I did, my debts and their standings would HAVE to be considered.

I don't have any debts like that, but I did ask about the "what ifs" and I was told that any government debts would have to have a payment arrangement (or in the case of SLs, be in rehab) before we could secure the loan.

Of course, I did lose a bit of credibility asking that ... until I reassured him that I was asking only because I'm a member of the FICO forums and it's a question people ask here all the time. Smiley Wink

Hers a 599? With a conventional? From talking to a few lenders, I doubt that'd be possible. Even DH, with his high 600s score wouldn't qualify for a conventional.

What about with my score of 701? 

I'm 99.9% sure that with a conventional, the lowest score is used: meaning, if you have a 701, and your wife has a 599, her score will determine the interest rate at the very least. Whether qualifying depends on the lowest score, I dunno. :/

I've read that FHA will use the score of the co-borrower with the highest income, but I dunno that for sure.

Nope, that's what we were told, too. So far, that's all they've asked for and we've already passed underwriting (close on the 20th). BUT your issue is regarding counting bonuses and overtime towards your qualifying income. That's a different animal. Only with 2 years worth of W-2s will they be able to see that you didn't just have a "black year" -- and that it's a likely reoccurence.

My 2007 tax return was MUCH lower than my 2008 will be (about half).  Since my wife and I are filing taxes jointly, how will that affect the process, if we will only use my income?

Honestly, I think it would be fine. Everyone's income is *supposed* to rise over time. Would you have a good explanation for it? Meaning, you'd not have a reason akin to "Uncle Bob passed away and gave me all his money!" -- something like that, I think, wouldn't fly at all.

To be absolutely honest, I think your chances of going FHA with her on the loan is nil-to-none. She has a government backed debt in poor standing and I really think that she'll have to do something about it before she can get her name on an FHA note.

I think IF you can get her situation corrected/resolved, you'd have one of two choices, mortgage-wise: A conventional with her NOT on it, and an FHA with her on it (since again, I believe that FHA looks at the higher income co-borrower's FICO more strongly).

What do the numbers say, rates-wise, between the two? Could you qualify without her income? Or would her imcome offset the ding you'd get rate-wise?

I think that's probably a personal decision you'll have to make as re your finances and what you can afford.

In our case, I'm not on the loan simply because I have poor credit (high 500s, low 600s at this point) and I have no steady income ... it wasn't worth it to take a chance on a lender NOT using my scores to define our rate, since I had no real, steady income to factor in. Also, I'm sure that with my credit-crappiness, we would have had to jump through more hoops, documentatio-wise, than we wanted. Especially since we're hoping to close in 11 days.

Does that make sense? My brain's kinda fried today. :/

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it all makes sense.  I think the best thing to do is to bump up my credit and try to get an FHA on my information alone (even though I thought it wasn't credit score-driven).  When asked why she isn't a co-borrower, I'll say she has crappy credit and doesn't have a steady income (which is all true!).  If they ask if she has gov't loans, I guess it'd be Very Bad to lie, as they can easily find out on their own, but we don't need to volunteer it!

According to ED.gov's page on rehabbing student loans, one reason they give for doing this is to qualify for a FHA or VA loan.  We have not tried rehabbing the loan with her school yet simply because she hasn't made any arrangements.  I can't do it for her because it's an all-girls school, and they'd know right away that I'm not her!

When I asked about my 701 score, I meant using that alone for a conventional mortgage without her, so they wouldn't even look at her 599.

According to a "FHA Loan Qualifying Summary" page I found online, if FHA looks at my wife at all, we won't qualify because:

In the last two years, her income has gone down; and

Her credit report has more than 2 30-day lates in the last 2 years

I suppose FHA is more lenient than other lenders, so we can't include her at all.  That being the case, will I be able to get a mortgage on my own, even if they ask why she's not a co-borrower?

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it all makes sense.  I think the best thing to do is to bump up my credit and try to get an FHA on my information alone (even though I thought it wasn't credit score-driven).  When asked why she isn't a co-borrower, I'll say she has crappy credit and doesn't have a steady income (which is all true!).  If they ask if she has gov't loans, I guess it'd be Very Bad to lie, as they can easily find out on their own, but we don't need to volunteer it!

I dunno ... if they asked the why of why she's not a co-borrower, I'd spill the beans. Mortgage fraud is serious business. And from what I've read, not disclosing such info on a government backed loan can result in prison time.

According to ED.gov's page on rehabbing student loans, one reason they give for doing this is to qualify for a FHA or VA loan.  We have not tried rehabbing the loan with her school yet simply because she hasn't made any arrangements.  I can't do it for her because it's an all-girls school, and they'd know right away that I'm not her!

Well, honestly? If she really wants to be a part of this mortgage, she should take care of it ASAP. Just letting it drift is bad ju-ju. It just, honestly, keeps putting off her credit-recovery.

I mean, if she had a spurting head wound and a simple phone call (albeit, probably a LONG phone call) would take care of the wound, she'd do it, right? Plus, the onus of getting this taken care of shouldn't ALL be on YOU.

Please bear in mind that I'm speaking from the POV of both your position AND hers. I've been on both sides (both as the credit-suckee and credit-goodie). And honestly, it's oodles easier to be the "credit-suckee" than the other.

When I asked about my 701 score, I meant using that alone for a conventional mortgage without her, so they wouldn't even look at her 599.

Again, that would depend on whether or not your income & DTI would qualify you. Plus, with conventionals, you would have to put down at least 20% in order to avoid PMI, escrows, etc. 

According to a "FHA Loan Qualifying Summary" page I found online, if FHA looks at my wife at all, we won't qualify because:

In the last two years, her income has gone down; and

Her credit report has more than 2 30-day lates in the last 2 years

I suppose FHA is more lenient than other lenders, so we can't include her at all.  That being the case, will I be able to get a mortgage on my own, even if they ask why she's not a co-borrower?

Honestly, if she can pump her score up to 620+ and rehab the loan(s), she could very well slip past automated approval. DH did. Our most recent lates (2 30-days) were in January and April (car note) and a 120+ in January (Student loan).

I'd kinda think that if they're willing to overlook a 120+ day in January '08, they'd be willing to overlook a couple of 30-days in the past two years.

Her BIG issue AFAICS, is the defaulted loan. That's a biggie. A real biggie. I'd not take the chance that FHA lets it sneak by (meaning, they don't ask and then check up on the situation) and just start rehabbing the d@mned thing. Otherwise, she could very well have worse to worry about than a defaulted loan -- she could have a judgment. Or (if it is indeed a Fed loan) her bank account could be garnished.

So honestly, I'd think that if you can get her scores higher AND deal with the defaulted loan, she'd pass AU. As Dallas and Shane always say, "A strong file" can overcome a lot of sins!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.