Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are my chances?

I would like to apply for a mortgage in 6 months. My scores are in the 660-690 range. I recently finished graduate school and have a secure career in the medical field with an income of $190k+/year. The problem is that I have only been an independent contractor for 6 months. I was told that banks typically want to see 2 years of income history for 1099s. I was working part-time as a Registered Nurse while I was completing graduate school. I have around $97k in student loans that is currently in repayment. My payment is $605/month. No significant credit card debt. No car payment. I would like to buy a condo for around $250k.

Is there anyway I can get around the 2 years of income/employment history? Do I really need to wait 2 years before I can qualify for a mortgage? I'm throwing away $2k/month for rent. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: What are my chances?

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to apply for a mortgage in 6 months. My scores are in the 660-690 range. I recently finished graduate school and have a secure career in the medical field with an income of $190k+/year. The problem is that I have only been an independent contractor for 6 months. I was told that banks typically want to see 2 years of income history for 1099s. I was working part-time as a Registered Nurse while I was completing graduate school. I have around $97k in student loans that is currently in repayment. My payment is $605/month. No significant credit card debt. No car payment. I would like to buy a condo for around $250k.

Is there anyway I can get around the 2 years of income/employment history? Do I really need to wait 2 years before I can qualify for a mortgage? I'm throwing away $2k/month for rent. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Yes, since you are a recent graduate and you are working in your field of study, most lenders will take that into consideration. You will need to provide your tax returns, but that is because you are 1099 and not W2. The income that will be used is your income after business expenses. Don't be aggressive with your deductions. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your response! Can you recommend any lenders/banks that I should try? (Or direct me to a thread/post on this site.) I have accounts with Navy Federal and USAA, I was considering maybe one of the two. I have heard that Credit Unions are easier to work with and more lenient. 

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for your response! Can you recommend any lenders/banks that I should try? (Or direct me to a thread/post on this site.) I have accounts with Navy Federal and USAA, I was considering maybe one of the two. I have heard that Credit Unions are easier to work with and more lenient. 

I love credit unions for auto loans, credit cards, bank accounts, but mortgages, not so much.

I pm'ed you a couple of excellent lenders.

What you want is someone that only originates, underwrites and funds mortgages. Big box banks are very, very conservative now and have changed their process since the mortgage meltdown to "loan officers" that are untrained in the mortgage field. Are all of the big box banks using untrained MLO's - no.  But it is hit or miss with the LO that your LO is knowledgeable about mortgage lending and the programs. Why is this an issue?  Because they will continue to tell you everything is okay right up until underwriting reviews it and sends out a denial. A knowledgeable LO knows what the criteria is for qualifying and can spot issues to shore up before underwriting. 

Many credit unions use third parties to take the loan and provide the processing and underwriting. This is not what they do for auto loans and credit cards - only mortgages. Some are good and some don't even know where the file is (in the process) until the final decision. They move very slowly IME.  This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use them, just allow extra time for processing and closing.

I prefer lenders that only do mortgages and not other banking functions especially if they fund their own loans. This way you have someone that processes mortgages day in and day out. Having a LO that knows his/her field is critical to getting the right program for you IMO. A MLO that knows the lender guidelines is such an asset when you are going for a mortgage. IME, these are the lenders that are the most forgiving rather than CU's for mortgages. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Very helpful information. Thanks a million!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.