cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are rental prices like in your area?

tag
settleordelete
Regular Contributor

Re: What are rental prices like in your area?

Here in Houston,Tx rent is down right ridiculous for something decent,but it really is a super time to buy a home. The average price was around $170k-$185K and thats for one of those huge 4 bedrooms plus EVERYTHING else homes.
I've been where you are trying to go and I don't wanna go back.
Message 11 of 17
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

We live in a 3/2 duplex in Madison, WI. UW is here, and anything else you can thingk of. One of the best cities to live per the polls.

Our duplex is $1000 a mo, nothing included. We can buy a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house for about the same. 45 mins from Madison we can get a 4/2 for about 850-900 mortgage. We are talking decent, not mansions!

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 12 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

We are in No. VA and prices really vary. Most tend to fall within a $1500-$2500 range for roughly a 3 bdrm house. Apartments are a little cheaper. We rent now a 4 bdrm 1.5 bath 2100 sqft home for $1000/mo. It was a multi-yr lease with option to buy. Awesome deal for us (thanks FIL). However, we pay for any repair or appliance replacement that costs less than $2500. Within the past 2 yrs, our fridge, washer, dryer, oven, and garbage disposal all died of old age and that cost was on us. When you do the math, we paid a whole lot more than $1000/mo.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

WannaHouse,

I live near Madison.  We are in Cottage Grove and have a 3bdrm/2bath duplex and pay $1100.00 per month.  We also do all the lawn care to get that rate.  Our next door neighbors pay $1140.00 per month.  Our lease is up 5/31 and we are looking to purchase.  The homes in this area, where we live, are holding their value pretty well, but we want to stay because of the schools.

Message 14 of 17
canilive78

We live in NYC (Brooklyn) and this place seems to play by different rules than probably 90% of the country, prices may be down from ridiculous to crazy. We have an pretty "affordable" place but we have to move (long story they have no CofO) we pay $1300 plus $85 for parking for a 1bd/1ba about 600sq/ft or so, and sorry to say this is considered "affordable."  Here if you tell someone you want a 1br for less then $1500 a month its like you grew another head right in front of them. My GF's father is a contractor so I've spent my time in Lowes/Home Depot and you can tell that landlords are buying the cheapest stainless steel appliances and spending as little as possible to renovate these places.  I know they want to make a porfit but to certain extent its not good for the quality of life of the city. Buying here is even more crazy, I recently looked at a 950sq/ft 1 br being passed off as a two for $169K (in the hood), now this place needs a top to bottom gut renovation plus the maintenance fee is $676 a month, we want to buy, but spending $1800 for an 1br is steep. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in San Antonio, and when we moved here in June rental prices where higher than they are now. They have gone down tremendously. And alot of companies such as apartment complexes are offering great deals to get into an apartment. Not to mention the price to rent a home is in the average of 800 dollars a month.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in southeastern Massachusetts and I've noticed that rental prices have come down a little, but not much, especially considering house prices have taken a nose dive.  It was always more expensive to rent around here.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.