cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the current scores needed for a 5% conventional?

tag
smackmaster2
Valued Member

What are the current scores needed for a 5% conventional?

Houses we are looking at are about above the FHA limits. I know banks are looking for 640+ for FHA, but what about conventional?

Thanks!

Start 6/16 EX 582 TU 578 EQ 554
Current 8/5 EX 700 TU 711 EQ 651
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the current scores needed for a 5% conventional?

What is the amount of the mortgage you are considering? Because, I don't think it is just a matter of a good FICO score. It is a matter of the size of the loan. I believe that if it is over the conventional loan limits, you might have a hard time getting a conventional at 5%. In our case, we technically qualififed for over $700K (I say "technically, because our income and scores would support a mortgage higher than the FHA limit for our area), and all of our scores were above 800. The FHA limit in our area was $697, and we were looking at houses in the $620K to $640K range, and nobody would give us a 5% conventional. I checked 2 major banks (1 with which we bank), 1 credit union (belonged to for 15  years), and a mortgage broker. All said the same thing... since the mortgage was going to be high (I believe over $417K - and someone can correct me here), we'd need to put down 10% for a conventional.

Message 2 of 5
smackmaster2
Valued Member

We live in the Houston area and our local limit for FHA is $271 and I am just looking for a mortgage a little higher than that with a house price of $300k, with a 5% down would be $285.

Start 6/16 EX 582 TU 578 EQ 554
Current 8/5 EX 700 TU 711 EQ 651
Message 3 of 5
MEE2Too
Valued Member

I was told for that type of loan your credit scores needed to be 680 and above.

Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

680 - but the rates will be higher - it is really the PMI that is the issue - didnt check some areas would require 10% down even with the 680

dont think TX is a problem

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.