Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What can I get?

I would suggest looking for a cheaper home. There are many of them in the state of Michigan which has a higher foreclosure rate than other states. Keep the faith. In time, it can be done.I hope this helps.

Message 11 of 15
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I think that anything priced under $40K will be a hole in the wall. And many down payment assistance programs require a good inspection of the property. There was one house that we looked at that had a cracked concrete slab in the backyard and the realtor said that the CHFA program probably wouldn't go forth without that fixed. Luckily, we didn't like that home at all.

I agree with the others that you should work on your career first and go back to school if needed. I know you want a home of your own but you should be patient to get something you are happy with versus the only property affordable. This isn't the same as a car purchase. I would try also to look for options through Section 8 in your state as you may be able to get something 100K or higher with Section 8 assistance. You need to have enough income to take care of repairs and a $40K home is likely a hole in the wall that would require a lot of repairs and being a single mom on your income, I don't think that is a good fit for you as you would only have enough to pay the mortgage and that is it. You want a home that is safe for your baby.

You could also look for sale by owner properties where you pay the seller and he pays the mortgage and as the balance goes down on the loan and your income goes up, later on you can qualify for a mortgage for that property. Or try a rent to own property. But going out there looking for a mortgage right now on anything that is affordable, is not the best plan of attack.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 12 of 15
Target1212
Regular Contributor

Actually there are nice starter homes that need no work here going for 40 they just go fast by investors , I'm only part time due to having a baby not even 20 hrs a week. Also my fiancé lives with me bringing in more money I just can't use him because his scores are low. We're paying 800 a month plus utilities here in a crappy apartment I feel I'm throwing my money away. I also make money babysitting but don't claim it, I am in college too still workin on a career but with four people in a small apartment paying much more than a mortgage would be I just want out of here, when my lease is up in May. Please stop judging when you don't know my life, we have plenty set aside and make more than enough to fix up also, my dad does handyman everything. I can stay here, I just don't want to. Our combined income is too much for sec 8. I went from 25 k a yr to what I'm at now, I was told by chase I pre qualify for a 60k home now but thank you all for your replies.
Message 13 of 15
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

I dont think any one was trying to judge you. In my opinion they were looking out for your best interest.

Either way I am glad and happy you found what you wanted.

Hope it all works out for you good luck. Smiley Happy

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 14 of 15
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I am not judging you. I went off the info provided. You did not mention that you had a fiancé nor that you had extra money coming in nor that you were in college. All you said was I make $12,000 a year and I want a house. What kind of answer do you expect? I would still wait until you are married and can apply joint for the mortgage OR you can keep searching around. That is all we can say. We aren't going to search for a broker or a house for you. You have to do that on your own. Continuing to ask for an opinion on this forum is not going to get you a house. All we can do is give our honest opinions. Go find a nice $40,000 house and post pics after you close to prove us wrong.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.