Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards are a must after you sign your mortgage

tag
housejunkie81
Valued Member

What credit cards are a must after you sign your mortgage

I recently just signed my first mortgage a lot of things to the forums here for helping me to clean up my credit my high score is experienced at 715 and a low score with aqua fax of a 678  my Trans Union is a 702  

I already got a Macy's American Express with a $4000 limit but was wondering is Home Depot a great choice or financing furniture or what ever they must have credit cards with my credit scores 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What credit cards are a must after you sign your mortgage

LOWE'S!! Much better card for most over Home Depot
Message 2 of 14
_NERD
Established Contributor

dansamy: what is the interest rate and interest free period on one a Lowe's account?

housejunkie81: don't get a furniture account. I bought a $4k bed and I'm about to absorb $1200+ I'm deferred interest if I don't find a way to pay the balance off. I see Discover offers for 18 months interest free. That's a smoking deal.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea the interest rate. They will run promotional periods with no interest for purchases over a certain amount.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

And balance transfer that furniture account.
Message 5 of 14
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I got lowes after I closed.  lowes has 5%discount or if over 399 (i think its 399) you can opt for 12 month interest free.  I used this option for several purchaes the last 1 1/2 years.  most recently i wanted to get ceiling fans for my 3 bedrooms and did 0 percent when i  bought them all at once.  I am starting to look at window covereings and will use this option as well.  

they also did an automatic CLI that i didn't ask for (didn't need) but they gave it automatically.

I don't know what sort of things HD offers on theirs but I like the flexitiblity of the Lowes.  Do note when its smaller and I use the 5% I always pay it off before the statement cuts as its items i would typcially have paid cash for.  My goal is awyas no interest ever paid on a cc.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 6 of 14
_NERD
Established Contributor

Wicked! We'll need a fridge & washer/dryer when we close. I hope I can get those at Lowes.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 7 of 14
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Definitely and they often have special financing on appliances as well.  

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Lowes card. They will approve you for one thing and when you call to activate the card they will increase the limit without another pull to your report. You have the choice of 5% off or 6 months no interest for purchases over $300. Also, I applied for a Discover IT card and was approved. 0% for the first 12 months and cash back rewards.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowes was on my list, but my place is 3 years old and comes with great appliances. I even negotiated  for the washer and dryer so now I'm not sure what I want to get.  Looking forward to reading everyone elses ideas. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.