Valued Member
rinkgirl2

What credit scores are used for mortgage?

My husband and I are hoping to buy a home next year and I was wondering what credit scores are used for FHA.  I know they take the middle score, but is it the middle score for each of us?  For example, if my middle score is 650 and his is 590, would we not qualify for a loan together?  We both have almost the exact same scores right now, but I'm wondering if we need to focus on getting both of our scores way up or just one of ours.  Thanks!

Senior Contributor
Walt_K

Re: What credit scores are used for mortgage?

[ Edited ]

In the example above, they would use the 590 score.  If one spouse's income is sufficient to meet the requirements, then that spouse can apply alone and they will use only that score.  But if you need both incomes, then they use the lowest person's middle score.

[Edited for clarity]

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}