cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do they look for in explanations for late payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do they look for in explanations for late payments?

What does underwriting typically look for or expect when doing written explanations for derogatory items on a credit report? Are they looking for a reason or something to indicate you've improved/learned from the experience?

Last night was filing out my explanation and had 3 cards with negative items, 2 which were clearer reasons and 1 was kind of weak:

1) 0% card, I paid the balance before the 12th statement due date, but not before the account anniversary so they charged me the interest. I stupidly didn't pay the bill while being slow to refute it, ended up with a 30 day late payment.

2) One card that was a charge off in 2008, where hit a rough patch and went through savings, fell behind on that one. Ended up liquidating another account to pay it off, started better budgeting to ensure we were within means.

3) 4 late payments over time, where there really was no good reason, just bad tracking of when/whether had been paid. Got better and went 2 years without a late payment, but let one though early last year.

As I was writing though, I wasn't sure what was expected. A story with a resolution? A bad habit that has been fixed? Its like want all of them to have a better ending so they don't think your a slouch and not going to pay your mortgage on time.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Calidreaming
Regular Contributor

Re: What do they look for in explanations for late payments?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.  My guess is that they want to see that the derogatories are an isolated incident not likely to be repeated or that whatever was causing the problem back then is not going to happen in the future.  

Message 2 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

What happend. Why it happened. What actions have been taken to ensure it does not happen again. These are the key components of any explanation.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a very good question.

If anyone else has any input, I'm sure myself and the other readers would be happy to see everyone's opinion on this!

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ezdriver wrote:

What happend. Why it happened. What actions have been taken to ensure it does not happen again. These are the key components of any explanation.

^^^this is exactly what the lender is looking for in an explanation. They want it short but complete. Not many paragraphs or excuses. Just the facts. Really for most items two or three sentences should do it.  For something like a foreclosure or short sale, it will take a little bit more, but still could be answered in just a couple of paragraphs.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.