cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think mortgage rates will look like early next year?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What do you think mortgage rates will look like early next year?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

About the same as they are today.

Any possible increase at the end of the year will be more than offset by the lenders trying to cram one more wave of refinances (i.e. money from the trough) through before that window of opportunity goes away.

China is still in flux, and that's going to have a bigger impact on the economy than I think the talking heads are pontificating (they carry more than just 1T in treasury debt, whole boatload of real estate was sold to China and Tiger Cub nations' investors) and the Fed even if things were going swimmingly well, could only move in small increments anyway without tanking the housing market among other things.

There's just no chance in hell they could move it 2% in a year let alone 7 months, economy would fall off the cliff; if anything it'd be 0.25 per quarter and that's extremely aggressive... and I think it's going to be more like 0.125 or even half of that again per quarter with how China and Europe are looking currently.  

I think that the Fed only moves in 0.25% increments. I'm expecting an increase of 0.25% (with a slight chance of 0.5%) by Feb, with 30 year mortgage interest rates moving higher 0.5%-0.75%.

.25 over six months = .125 per quarter was what I was trying to get at, my apologies for confusing the issue.  I doubt 0.5 by Feb (I wouldn't wager on a rate hike before December), but we'll see... I am glad I got my own rate sorted already.

        
Message 11 of 14
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not ready to buy or build until early next year, but the process scares me.

Uncertainty and absence of information causes anxiety. The more that you educate/prepare for the purchase transaction, the more confidently you will undertake the process. Dating was much more scary to me than buying a house. lol

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like the Fed move (Sept/Dec) is already priced into rates at this point. If they do move, I don't think rates will tick much higher in '15. A lot can happen in 6 months though, so '16 is a little fuzzier, but I don't think mortgage rates specifically will see anything more than a .25 move from where we are today.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'll probably post a crap ton of "talk to me like a toddler" questions in the next month or so.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.