cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else do they need??? Sheesh! HELP!!

tag
CGame
New Contributor

What else do they need??? Sheesh! HELP!!

I have a situation I hope someone can please make me understand what is going on...

My wife and I applied for a for a mortgage loan through BOA. Got pre-approved, needed to give LO all necessary paperwork for the underwriter. I filed a BK in 1999 which will fall off in June, and the wife filed in 2001. We gave the LO discharge papers for both BK's, check stubs, etc...Now they want ALL BK paperwork. I personally don't have any of that paperwork, due to it being lost during moving. I went to the web page pacer.com just to get the discharge letter. She doesnt have hers either for same reasons. The LO said, "you will have to get it from the court where you filed". WE do not reside in that state anymore. My question is; is ALL of that paperwork necessary? I thought they only needed the discharge papers? My scores are 636/644/647 hers, 713/702/709. We have made an offer, got it accepted and everything. The FHA said we had to put down 3.5% (or something like that) we have that. Why does the underwriter need all that paperwork? Is it for "creditworthiness?" Also, other than pacer, is there a way I can get the whole BK file? I have searched online and couldnt find anything. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks everyone...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What else do they need??? Sheesh! HELP!!

@CGame wrote:

I have a situation I hope someone can please make me understand what is going on...

My wife and I applied for a for a mortgage loan through BOA. Got pre-approved, needed to give LO all necessary paperwork for the underwriter. I filed a BK in 1999 which will fall off in June, and the wife filed in 2001. We gave the LO discharge papers for both BK's, check stubs, etc...Now they want ALL BK paperwork. I personally don't have any of that paperwork, due to it being lost during moving. I went to the web page pacer.com just to get the discharge letter. She doesnt have hers either for same reasons. The LO said, "you will have to get it from the court where you filed". WE do not reside in that state anymore. My question is; is ALL of that paperwork necessary? I thought they only needed the discharge papers? My scores are 636/644/647 hers, 713/702/709. We have made an offer, got it accepted and everything. The FHA said we had to put down 3.5% (or something like that) we have that. Why does the underwriter need all that paperwork? Is it for "creditworthiness?" Also, other than pacer, is there a way I can get the whole BK file? I have searched online and couldnt find anything. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks everyone...

Pacer should be able to get you all the documents.  The only thing I can think of is identifying your accounts included in bankruptcy so nothing pops up unknowingly where you can get sued for payment.  Als check to see if the county you lived in where you filed the bankruptcy is online.  Its possible to get what you need through them.  Just because you live in another state doesn't mean they wont give you the stuff you request

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you use an attorney for your Bankruptcies?  I would think they would have copies of all the paperwork as well.  We have a BK discharged 4 years ago.  I am hoping we don't have to supply the whole documentation to the underwriters.  Anything on my credit report related to the BK clearly says so.
Message 3 of 10
CGame
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies...

Yes, we used attorneys to file. I found my attorney, but he hasnt replied to my email. I just don't understand WHY we have to provide all those pages of the complete BK file to the underwriter. I would imagine the discharge paper would be enough. I'm going to check pacer again and see if I can get this stuff online.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's pretty common. We were asked for them too.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I was advised to keep my Chapter 13 bankruptcy for -- well, forever!

I guess this is an example why.

I realize this is not helpful to the OP (to which I apologize, for hijacking a thread). But, for the rest of us...

Message Edited by oldhack62 on 04-12-2009 07:53 PM
Message 6 of 10
Alpha
New Contributor

I filed chapter 13 in 2004 and was discharged in 2007. all i had to provide was my discharge letter.
Message 7 of 10
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

We filed Chap 7 in 2004..needed the entire file as well.  Good Luck.

We got ours from PACER.

Message Edited by WannaHouse on 04-13-2009 03:31 PM

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to work for a private investigator.  We did all sorts of stuff including retrieving court documents for private individuals.  Try contacting one in the area you used to live in or a Legal Services or a Process Serving business.  All of those would most likely get a copy of the file for you.  I would think it would cost anywhere from $50 - $100.

Message 9 of 10
CGame
New Contributor

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I got in contact with the lawyer, he doesnt have the file since its been 10 years, so I had to call the Chicago Court records to get a copy of the entire file. It cost $75. They are gonna mail it to me. I guess the only thing that puzzles me is I dont understand what the underwriter is looking for. I would imagine since mine is 10yrs old, as long as I had a discharge letter I would be good. If it's common, thats fine. If they see that BK file and see all that negative information from the past, could it possibly disqualify us from getting our mortgage after all this time, even after we've been preapproved, and signed all these different papers? My mind is telling me that what the underwriter is looking for was past spending/payment habits. Things are a lot different now then back then. Also, they asked for a "letter explaining what took place to cause the bankruptcy, and steps taken to ensure credit is protected in the future". Is this common as well? When we bought our first home, I don't remember it being this difficult, but I also didnt have a BK either. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again everyone.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.