Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens at a Signing Appointment?

tag
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

What happens at a Signing Appointment?

I searched on this, and didn't see it. Presumably I show up and sign everything. The mortgage folks say I don't need to bring anything, which is odd because I'd sort of had it in my head that I needed to bring a cashier's check for down payment & closing costs. (Possible they are going to set it up as a wire transfer, though, which is apparently the "done thing" nowadays.)

Anyway: what happens at these little shindigs? Other than the fact that I am committing to the largest expense of my young life thus far, is there any reason I should be panicky and full of nervous anxiety? Or will it be altogether low-key?

Please discuss.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What happens at a Signing Appointment?

My husband and I went in and just signed a ton of paperwork. All the finances were handled electronically. 

We were told to take our state issued ID (driver's license) for the Notary.

Some companies will patiently walk you through all the forms. Others will try to rush you.  Don't let them rush you. Verify everything.

Message 2 of 32
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

yes, at our closing, we sat in certain seats, and the attorney walked over every piece of paper and asked us to verify addresses, etc.  once we signed our life away, the attorney offered to take our pictures.  ROFL

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 32
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

We got a gift bag with a mug and some candy. I was insulted for a minute but hungry at the time so it passed.

Message 4 of 32
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

rofl..

the office had the 'good' candy in the candy jar in the waiting area.  we were on a sugar high by the time we got started.  

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 32
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@mynameainttracy wrote:

We got a gift bag with a mug and some candy. I was insulted for a minute but hungry at the time so it passed.

LOL! I am still on some level amazed that they are loaning me money. We're in great financial shape but I spent so long being a "rebuilder" that it's hard to let go of that mindset, that no one sees you as creditworthy. I know they think I'm a little odd but truly this dream's been almost a decade in the making. I could hug these people.

Message 6 of 32
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

you are not odd in your feelings at all!!!  Before my DH lost his job in 2008, we were young and didn't have a true understanding of personal finances outside of simply paying your bills.  after we finally got to the point where we could dig ourselves out of the financial hole, I felt like we would never be taken seriously financially.  when i got my first prime credit card back in 2012, i was just waiting for Chase and Amex to send me an "sorry, we made a mistake" letter.  

like you, i still can't get use to the fact that we are living our dream....all we need now is the white picket fence.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frugal pointed out-

"lost his job in 2008,"

Is that when they started callin ya frugal?

Message 8 of 32
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

ha ha ha....i believe so.  because i definately put a lock on the purse-strings!

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frugal told us-

"the office had the 'good' candy in the candy jar in the waiting area. "

So what did they have in the signing room?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.