Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have I got into here?

tag
sekada
Regular Contributor

What have I got into here?

I'm trying to buy a second home... contacted a mortgage broker highly recommended by several friends. He used to be independent but I found out after I contacted him he's with a bank (it's a good one, at least).  Anyway, he took a few days to get back in touch with me, sent me a list of things I'd need for preapproval, and in the meantime said I should apply online for a prequal so I can get a rough budget (I want to go shopping in my vacation area next week.)  So I applied online, he replied and copied the email to his loan officer and said the LO would handle for now.  There is no contact info other than email, for the LO. 

Now first of all, I wanted a broker and not an LO because I would prefer to shop different lenders -- it was a timesaving move on my part and I was willing to pay a bit for it.  But I figured just for a prequal, maybe the LO is ok.  I emailed him and said hi, let me know if you need anything etc and he's not gotten back to me.  It's been 3 days now... I emailed him yesterday saying "I thought this was just a prequal, but if you need all the documents now, let me know and I'll bring them to you." He still hasn't acknowledged my email.  I just looked at the original email from the Broker and he didn't specifically say this was a prequal, but when I applied online that is what it was called. 

Bottom line is, as brilliant as this broker is supposed to be, am I getting a runaround?  Should I expect a prequal result within 3 days?  I don't want to bug the broker because he kind of implied I should let the LO handle it for now -- but I can't find direct contact info for LO.  Should I contact the broker and ask what's up?  Also, since the broker is with a specific bank, will he only be shopping loans within that bank?  Because that I can do myself, without spending 1% of the loan price.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: What have I got into here?

Well if he's affiliated with a single institution then he's no longer an independent broker. And since he pawned you off to one of their loan officers and you're getting no response I would abandon them and find an independent broker. If at some time in the future they come back with a loan proposal you can always compare it to whatever offer you have at the time. But I wouldn't waste any more time or effort trying to give them your business. If they are this unresponsive now, what will it be like if / when there is a glitch in the mortgage processing?

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Re: What have I got into here?

I agree with holdingon.... move on

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.