Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good first offer on a home.

tag
lsutigers03
Valued Member

What is a good first offer on a home.

With the way things are right now how much below asking price should a first offer be?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is a good first offer on a home.

There is not one answer to that....  there are too many variables.

What is your market like.  Most of the really bad markets are showing signs of picking up due to investor and first time home buyer purchases so alot of homes have ultiple offers right now?

Are you expecting any repairs.clsoing cost concessions?

Are you a cash buyer, conventional, FHA, fwhat type of financing?

How much are you willing to actually pay for the house?

How desparate are you for that particular house or to move quickly?

What are the houses appraising for in your neighborhood verse what you are thinking of offering?

Basicly, the less complicated your deal is, the more likely someone will take a lower offer.  If you go in on an FHA loan with 6% concessions for closing, very littel money in reserves, no preapproval, and a sketchy timeline the seller will probably ignore you unless you are offering over the list price....

If you go in with a cash offer with no concessions and a realtor willing to take a small rate cut, they may go down as low as 10-20% below asking to get a quick and clean deal closed.

Message 2 of 4
lsutigers03
Valued Member

I have around 6 months to get the whole process done so I'm not in a hurry to get things done.  I'll be doing an FHA and I'll make sure I have financing in place.  I haven't found a particular house yet.  I'm in the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area.  i don't think we've been hit as hard as other places but from what I've seen you should still be able to get a house for below asking price.  I just don't want to insult the seller by offering too little.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Below asking price" can be a tricky concept. You have to take it on a case by case basis. Always make sure to get comparable sales in the area so you can see what homes have sold for recently. Don't get hung up on getting a "lower" price. Some homes are priced well or below their actual value already. Find a home you like and pay a price you're comfortable with... getting hung up on price could prevent you from getting a house you really like Smiley Happy

In my area (southern NH) the good ones are going fast and usually above asking price. The market is getting quite competitive and although that makes it harder for us purchasing... it's a good sign for the housing market! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.