Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is normal?

tag
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

What is normal?

Hi, I've been lurking on this board for a long time but this is my first time posting anything.  You guys are great help so I thought you could give me your opinion. 

I am currently in the process of building a new home.  House should be done by the end of this month.  Estimated close date is mid-march. 

My file went to underwriting about 2 weeks ago.  Loan processor said I should receive an update within 5-7 days.  So I patiently waited and on Friday when I hadn't heard anything, I sent an email to ask the progress.  She said she received conditional approval and that everything looked good and she would put together the committement letter with the additional documents I need by next week (this week).  I still have not heard anything.  We are using the builder's lender, which I have been pretty skeptical about but with the incentives they were offereing my husband and I decided to give them a go.  But I'm concerned about their lack of response.  I don't know if I am being incredibly impatient.  I am sure there are other houses that will be closing before ours and I know they would take precedence.  But I want to know what my stinkin conditions are so I can somewhat sleep better at night!  Is this normal?  Should I just take a deep breath and keep on holding?

Thanks for your help!!! 

Starting Score: 553
Current Score: 710
Goal Score: 659

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
EX:659
EQ: 553
TU: 520
Goal: 659
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is normal?

First, I completely understand your worry.  This is a difficult process, and knowing someone is scrutinizing your situation without getting regular updates can be unnerving.

IMO, your LO probably isn't in a huge rush simply because closing is so far out.  Just keep checking in like you are doing, and I am sure things will start rolling forward again soon.  We had quite a few of these little quiet spells during our initial endeavor as well. 

Do you have a realtor representing you?  They can sometimes get things addressed even quicker, but it really doesn't sound like something you should worry about right now.  Try and ask what those conditions are so that you can be addressing them sooner rather than later.

Message 2 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response.  That's what I figured.  I just want to know so I can move forward! Waiting is so hard!!! I figured I would give her until tomorrow and follow up again.  

And we do have a realtor helping us and she just says its normal but it doesn't ease my mind.  LOL.

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe me, I understand.  =)  We went on contract for a home on 12/3, and we're still waiting for the final clear to close.  Thought we would have it Thursday, then Friday.  Then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Hoping today is the day!

Don't hesitate to send a note inquiring though.  While it's true that you don't want to upset your LO, I can't imagine they'd mind a note asking for an update since you were expecting something the last couple days.  There's really no harm in your wanting to address any conditions that you can ahead of time.  Of course the conditions may turn out to be things that you can't deal with now like inspections, title research, etc.  At least you'll know!

Message 4 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I also went through the builder's lender as well and I found myself in your situation numerous of times when they said they would follow up by a certain date but didn't and I was always calling to check for status. They were pretty good about providing my conditions and giving me my commitment letter but continuously kept me hopeful that we would close by the end of the month, and we didn't. We closed a little after that on Feb 6th due to getting 2 more rounds of conditions after the first set that came with the commitment letter. There was one condition that was a duplicate and made me feel like they were not thoroughly looking through my files. But when it finally all came together, it came together nicely. Just keep being persistent. And remember that the end of the month is their busiest time so don't be surprised if they jump off the face of the earth in two weeks. Also I encourage you to express your concerns to the realtor. My realtor really worked hard to keep the process moving for us. Sometimes my realtor relayed false positives just to provide an answer so be weary of that possibility. Always confirm what your realtor relays to you from the LO with the LO...doing this will ease possible future frustrations.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 10
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@jkwheaton78 wrote:

Hi, I've been lurking on this board for a long time but this is my first time posting anything.  You guys are great help so I thought you could give me your opinion. 

I am currently in the process of building a new home.  House should be done by the end of this month.  Estimated close date is mid-march. 

My file went to underwriting about 2 weeks ago.  Loan processor said I should receive an update within 5-7 days.  So I patiently waited and on Friday when I hadn't heard anything, I sent an email to ask the progress.  She said she received conditional approval and that everything looked good and she would put together the committement letter with the additional documents I need by next week (this week).  I still have not heard anything.  We are using the builder's lender, which I have been pretty skeptical about but with the incentives they were offereing my husband and I decided to give them a go.  But I'm concerned about their lack of response.  I don't know if I am being incredibly impatient.  I am sure there are other houses that will be closing before ours and I know they would take precedence.  But I want to know what my stinkin conditions are so I can somewhat sleep better at night!  Is this normal?  Should I just take a deep breath and keep on holding?

Thanks for your help!!! 

Since closing is about a month out, I wouldn't worry, it's probably just not their top priority at the moment. I think it would be ok to email them tomorrow as just ask for an update.

Message 6 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Funny thing, right after i posted this, my email dinged and there was my list of conditions.  Thankfully they are very easy...so far at least Smiley Happy  The estimated closing date is actually scheduled the 1st week of March which is sooner than I thought, but I know these things can change! 

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 7 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Some conditions your LO or Broker or processor will complete for you. For example when building new home needs final appraisal update make sure house is completed as stated.

Any condition you would need to fill out or LOE you would receive with plenty of time.

Congrats on your new home
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 8 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

So far the conditions were only to provide updated pay stubs until closing, updated bank statements until closing and if we are taking a loan from my retirement account we need to show that paper trail, which we are not.  They were really good at getting a lot of stuff up front, like letters explaining some of the stuff still on my credit report.  I removed most of the bad stuff (my credit scores below are very old), my mid score is now 700 with my lowest being 653.  

So hopefully it will stay this simple...although the little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me not to count on it. 

I will say though, without this board...I would definately not be here today! You guys are awesome! 

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 9 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

It's possible that they will come back with more conditions but sometimes one go round is all they need. Your conditions are really easy.

I am hoping for the best. You are about 50% done with the process. Once you satisfy those conditions, you will be about 75% complete.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.