cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best route???? HELP

tag
BTtrdr330

What is the best route???? HELP

Im interested in a home equity line of credit (I think) and am looking for guidance please. Here's some background info....Credit score is 635 (TU pulled by car dealer) 668 (TU my FICO) 653 (equifax myfico) and 664 (espirian).   no lates or bad for over 3 years. 5 old tax liens that were paid in 2000 but never removed. (Im disputing). One of the main problems is that I have no credit cards. I use a debit card for everything. 2 car payments and a mortgage. Under the wifes number, 5 store cards and her number is in the 730's but no income. My mortgage is 15 years old.  Ive been at the same job for 15 years, making salary, bonus and commissions, along with some deferred comp. My DTI is between 20% and 34%, depending how you calculate (the 34% would be only using the salary). However the commissions and bonus's have been consistent. The LTV is between 50 and 56% depending on which value number you use. (Epraisal, Zillow, and 5/3 online). Equity in house is between 106k and 118k.. I am looking for a min of 20k and Max of 50k, and am going to need it ASAP

1.) is the home equity line the right one to be looking at? or should I be looking at a different ave?

2.) Should  I approach the local big banks, 5/3, first merit? or the credit unions and small banks?  or should I work with a mortgage broker (if so, where's the best place to look)?   My concern from reading this site is that I do not want too many credit pulls. 

3.) will I have a problem getting approved?

4.) how long will the process take? whats the fastest route?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: What is the best route???? HELP

The first thing that you need to do is have the tax liens deleted from your credit reports. When you started the disputes did you provide any documentation that proves the liens were paid off in 2000? When did you start the dispute process (how long ago)?   With 5 tax liens the process can take up to 2 months or longer. You can also contact the entity that has the liens on your credit report. So give them a call & ask them to send both you and the credit bureaus documentation (letter) that states the liens were satisfied or fully paid in 2000. Tax liens stay on a credit report for 7 years after they have been paid in full or satisfied.

On debt to income ratio you take your monthly gross and divide it by your outgoing bills. So for example, if you make $ 3,000 per month & all your bills total $ 1700 then your percentage is 57%.

Both credit unions and banks can be good. All creditors will look at how many late payments are on your credit report, how often, & how recent. They want to make sure that they are going to get their money back from you. So the credit report shows what kind of credit character that you have. You stated that you have no bad (negative) accounts for over 3 years. So are there any late payments or any adverse trade lines that are on your credit report?

I would definitely wait until the tax liens are removed because your score will go up. Tax liens are about as bad as a bankruptcy & collection accounts. And multiply displays on your report of these type will have an adverse impact on your score.

The process of getting approved for a home equity line of credit can happen as soon as the next day. So here is what I would do, & after the tax liens are removed. Is go to a bank, or credit union & ask them what documentation is needed. Then just make sure that you have it. It is preferable to go to a bank or credit union that you have long & stable relationships with. The one that you have had loans, savings & checking accounts with. Always be upfront & honest with them.

Message 2 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Why do you need/want the HELOC?  Is there any other ways you can get money without putting your home on the line?  I bought a house last month and the previous owner owed 120K over what she paid in 1995.  I think she must have just kept borrowing on the house.

Your choice, just thought I'd throw this idea out there to maybe find the money you need/want elsewhere.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Not a lot of banks doing these and the ones that are typically want better scores than you are shopwing - Check around but dont be shocked if you have to do a full fha cash out refi to get anthing - FHA because of the scores

Good Luck

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.